Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Sail & Rigging - Inner sliders for my mainsail cars
14 August 2017 - 09:14

Inner sliders for my mainsail cars

I am struggling to replace the inner sliders that fit into my cars for my mainsail track on my Swan 57, Scaramouche. It's an old system and the riggers I've contacted in the UK and Greece have no suggestions. If I cannot source the sliders or new cars I'll have to replace the whole system. The last photo is a car missing its sliders.

I'm also in need of a pelican clip for one of my gates - again I can source a new clip but I'm hoping to find one that matches the remaining three (circa 1978).

Anybody?

14 August 2017 - 09:31

Dear Sue,

could it be an old Rutgerson slider, now Ronstan?

Fair winds

matteo

14 August 2017 - 13:42

Dear Sue and Matteo,

I am not sure if the measures of the main sail track for the 48 and the 57 are the same, but of course Lars will know. If they are: I replaced the old sliders with batten cars by Rutgerson. For my main, the battens use

Rutgerson item # 1530-23-05 with M10 threads

and the sail in between is attached to cars of the type

Rutgerson item # 1530-23-10

The cars have considerably less friction than the sliders so I am totally happy with them. The wheels take the pressure on the outside of the track while a sliding T part is inside the track. I got them via Gotthardt in Hamburg and can provide you with an item number if you need it.
I am also pretty sure that I posted or mailed a better picture somewhere but cannot find it -- if you need one, let me know.

Fair winds,
Martin (Age of Swan, 48/039)

Rutgerson cars

14 August 2017 - 14:08

Many thanks dear Martin,

as always you are very kind and helpful!

Whare are you sailing at the moment?

Fair Winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

14 August 2017 - 15:07

Dear Matteo,

always a pleasure ...

Best regards from Sardegna,
Martin

15 August 2017 - 16:25

Dear Sue

Swan 57 originally had a sail track for 1" internal slides, and this track is visible in your photos. An additional track for the battcars has been added on top of it, and a peculiar feature is that there are cylindrical screw heads located in the track recess. Unable to find such a track from the big suppliers, perhaps an outdated model? 
The slide rods are round plastic bars with a specific length, maybe you could have some made up for you?

I think Age of Swan has 7/8" sail track, Martin could you pls confirm? Then the same Rutgersson cars do not fit the 57, but there is probably a suitable model. Should I check?

Is this pelican clip the same as yours?

Matteo, Ronstan bought Frederiksen, not Rutgersson. Both Scandinavian though.
Fair winds to all!
Lars

16 August 2017 - 10:40

Dear Lars and Sue,

Age of Swan indeed has the 7/8" track with an inner space 22 mm wide, so Lars is right that the model cannot be simply transferred to the 57. However, there was a considerable number of slide/cars by Rutgerson we had to choose from, so I am confident you will be able to find something -- even something that passes over the bolt heads in the track.

Best regards,

Martin

18 August 2017 - 09:22

Where would we all be without your brain Lars!

Yes that's exactly the right pelican clip.

Please do check if there is a car that would fit the track. I've tried having rods made up and gluing them in place but the originals have ends that help them stay put. Without these the replacements soon fall out.

I'm back onboard on Sunday so will double check all the measurements.

Huge thanks to all who replied. 

Sue

18 August 2017 - 18:34

Dear Sue

The Rutgersson Limousine Battcar 1540-23 with M10 or M12 thread should fit your original track provided the additional track is removed. 
Further you need a headboard car C23, and intermediate battcars 1528-23
It is suggested you discuss this with your sailmaker.
Would you have further questions?
Kind regards
Lars

19 August 2017 - 05:06

Dear Sue,

glad it looks like you are heading towards a solution ...

One thing you might do before you dismantle the additional track is trying to find out (from a former owner) why it was installed in the first place. I have a small number of details on Age of Swan where something seemed to be a strange solution, but after removal I found that there was a reason for that - either to remove a chafing, or to circumvent a damaged part. If the latter applies to the mainsail track, removing the additional one will just leave you with another set of problems.

Just my thoughts ... and all the while I hope you can fix the slider problem and go back to enjoying Scaramouche as you (both) deserve. I am not sure you remember; we briefly met in Olbia just after you had bought the boat.

Fair winds,
Martin

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0