Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Nrown gooey substance
09 March 2018 - 01:57

Nrown gooey substance

My boat is a '69 - 43. The other day I noticed a trail of some brown goopy substance had dripped down the interior slats lining the hull. The drip had followed a line of screws attaching the slats to the hull's vertical stringers. The substance seemed  dry to the touch.  Is this a break down of some material in the stringer? Since it only happened in one area I am more curious than anything. Is it a mastic that has travelled along the hull interior?

thank you 

john - E

Elusive Swan 43

10 March 2018 - 22:27

Hi John,

I'm just working with the interior slats of my 43. In midship cabin area I noticed that some of the stringers were wet inside and when slats were removed brown/black liquid oozed through the screw holes. I opened couple of the stringers and found foam inside ok but bit moist. I believe that water has come via toerail fixings and/or through hull and deck joint under toerail and entered inside stringers from the upper end of them. I renewed toerails just year ago and there was considerable void inside them just where the hull/deck joint was. Could similar water intrusion explain your findings as well?

Teemu (s/y Eleanor 43/014)

11 March 2018 - 11:53

Teemu & John

I think you are right, and the reason is that the stringers are open at the top. A small hole drilled at their bottom end would eliminate this.
Kind regards
Lars

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0