Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Keel Bolts and General Topics on Keel - Strut problemas
09 May 2018 - 23:13

Strut problemas

Professor, et al,

I have REBECCA (43) out of the water to do the bottom.  Upon grinding old, flaking paint and filling compound I found a hole in the stainless steel strut on the starboard side.  There is no movement in the strut and it feels strong.  The hole looks to be caused by electrolysis.  At this time I will fill the hole and cover the strut with compound but think it prudent to repair it or replace it before any serious sailing.  Professor would there be drawings available to build a new strut?  Do the photos show this to be original work or does it appear work has been done on it in the past?

Any comments and recommendations are appreciated.  Thank you.  

John

11 May 2018 - 09:57

Dear John

I would suggest that the shape of your strut is original. The opinions of sistership owners would be appreciated. 
I do not think there is a detailed drawing. Local damage can well be repaired by welding, and the strut has to be removed for this
Kind regards
Lars

11 May 2018 - 13:18

Professor,

Thank you you for your comments.  It appears to me upon closer inspection that the small hole may have been caused by agressive grinding in the past and is in what appears to be a plate or gusset welded to each side of the strut for added strength.  

John

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0