Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Blakes toilet , head gaskets needed
14 May 2018 - 19:07

Blakes toilet , head gaskets needed

I am looking for Gaskets for the Blakes toilet in my 431 if anyone can recommend anything.

The side pump seems to be flicking out "unmentionables" 

The costs of a new set of gaskets is very expensive, so does anyone have any ideas?

First I guess I need to determine which model of blakes toilet the 431 is.

Then excatley where the problem of all these small particles are coming from.

I will upload pics .

Can I upload a video at all ?

https://www.marinechandlery.com/baby-blake-marine-toilet

Thankyou 

Cheri

15 May 2018 - 12:30

Hi,

I cannot be sure but it is very likely that your model is a Baby Blake like in most of the Swans; exactly the one displayed in the link of your post.

Regarding the gaskets, I am afraid but it is perfectly normal to replace them every once in a while and - I know - the originals are quite expensive but fortunately are still readily available.  I like to add that most of the gaskets can be constructed if you have the old ones, the proper material and proper tools; it is not a big deal but it depends on your attitude in DIY.  The original service manual of Blakes is very well done and explains everything you need to disassemble and fix the toilet.

Here on the forum you will find many people who still keep their old Blakes, keep them perfectly functioning and will be glad to help you on specific problems; I am one of them!

The problem you describe is likely to be ascribed to the discharge clack valve which was modified in the latest models; this is one of the few parts that it would be better to purchase. A full overhaul and cleaning every once in a while is also recommended.

Daniel, 411-004 Luna Menguante

16 May 2018 - 13:24

Hello Jan and Daniel!

Yes I fully agree a Baby Blake is really part of our Swans and should be kept.

A bit of DIY should do the trick, despite the fact that spare parts cost as much as GOLD, and that their dimensions are not always correct.

On ours I replaced the rods of both pumps by stainless steel metric rods (manufactures locally) with a few modifications of the stuffing boxes, and it works really well, wthout any leak.

BUT... there is one piece of equipment which bothers me a lot: the inlet valve of the flushing pump.

I replaced it already once (many  £££ !) and its leaking again (all that in 30 years time...!). (part 11 on page 9 of the manual).

It is not possible to disassemble it.

Any idea for a replacement?

Many thanks and kind regards.

Philippe 41/022

16 May 2018 - 13:25

Hello Diogenes should I have said... Sorry!

Philippe

08 June 2018 - 05:34

Hi and sorry for my late reply. I happen to have one whole Blakes Baby toilet for spares. It is a lightly used one in good condition and has been totally disassembled. All the parts are carefully cleaned and there’s no smell from them.

As I’ve had it already more than 5 Years without needeing any parts from it I could also sell the whole unit or just some parts of it.

Please PM me if interested.

IHe

431-12 ”CAID”

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0