Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Leadbars
02 December 2018 - 17:25

Leadbars

Hello,

I've tried to search the forum for any information about leadbars found in my boat, but with no luck.

Maybe they are not common in the Swans or maybe they are so common that every body know what they are for??:-)

Anyway, if someone can help me out and explain why I have aprox 30 leadbars in my boat i will be very greatfull.

I've seen a picture where the bars are used when making a new teakdeck, but I rather believe that the bars has been use as movable ballast..

Best regards

Jonas Lissau

Swan 55 - Thyra

Refit of Ellinor (sorry for using your picture!!!!)

02 December 2018 - 17:34

Dear Jonas,

in some boats lead bars have been used to better balance the hull, e.g. I know of at least 2 S&S Swan 44 where they are there for this reason.

Where did you find yours?

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

02 December 2018 - 18:06

Hi Matteo,

I found them different places in the boat and im sure that they have been moved around during the years.

There doesn't seem to be any fixed place for them.

Im not sure if they have been added later in the boats life or if they go all the way back to Pietarsaari?

Regards

Jonas Lissau 

03 December 2018 - 07:09

Dear Jonas

In the IOR days internal ballast was used for optimizing the rating, and weight was added in the bilge, usually near the mast, bow trim was beneficial.
If the bars are original they weigh about 40 kgs each, and it appears you could lighten the yacht considerably if you remove them. Take care to secure them if kept.
Are they all the same size? A photo may give a clue to their origin.
Kind regards
Lars

06 December 2018 - 14:50

Dear Jonas

A comment about the weight of your yacht:
There is an ORC Club certificate for her from 2009 showing a light displacement of 19584 kg. It can be assumed that this is based on her earlier IMS certificates, where the actual freeboards have been measured. 
Kind regards
Lars

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0