Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - New flag for Sherpa
22 December 2018 - 06:36

New flag for Sherpa

Dear members, I am going to chenge the Dutch flag to Italian and the agency is asking me the Certificate of Conformity which I’ve never seen on bord.

May be someone can give me some precious suggest on how to get it....

many thanks in advance

Luca Sessa (47#15)

22 December 2018 - 15:41

Dear Luca
Your yacht does not have such a certificate because of her age.
The Recreational Craft Directive (RCD) Certificate of Conformity became a requirement for new yachts built after 1998, and obviously was not included with the original ship's documents for your yacht.  
The Directive considers yachts built before 1998 as "existing", and a certificate is not required if they or their sisterships were within EU at the time.
It appears there are different interpretations of this, and some authorities may consistently ask for RCD conformity. 
In Italy Swan 47 has "RINA homologation", issued around the time of build, and it is suggested you contact RINA and ask for a copy of the Swan 47 homologation certificate. This is a national approval, later replaced by the EU Recreational Craft Directive.
Kind regards
Lars

RINA Services S.P.A.
Yachting Centre

Via Farabola Est, 34

55049 Viareggio

Italy

P.+39 0584 944244

F.+39 0584 944833  

22 December 2018 - 16:30

Dear Luca,

try to ask another office (e.g. I asked Tourmondeur -with offices in Genoa and Antibes-to deal with Vanessa flag change), as when a boat already has a European flag, all the Italians have to do in order to register the vessel on their registry is to get a translated copy of the flag cancellation.

Anyway I hope you have your good reasons to go to an Italian flag, because it will then very difficult to sell the boat to another European. As you know Italians love bureocracy and to complicate simple matters. To cancel an Italian flag takes months (and not 24 hours as in ALL other European Countries).

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

26 December 2018 - 18:58

Many thanks! All is clear!!!

luca

26 December 2018 - 19:16

Dear Matteo, thanks for your reply!

no, actually I don’t have a real reason to get Italian flag, but I have no idea which flag can I use....

As you probably know the Dutch one is not longer allowed from the last June....

I’ll try to keep contact with the agency you’ve mentioned...

waiting for any suggestion

many thanks

luca

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0