Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Set Screws
13 April 2019 - 22:06

Set Screws

Do any of you know where I can buy replacement set screws for the nine deck plates on my 1970 43’ REBECCA.  I have the deck bolt “eyes” but not the slotted plugs that fill the holes when not using the eyes.  They are approximately 19 mm long or deep with a slotted top. I’ve enclosed a photo of the “eye” bolt.

thank you,

john mckay

Deck pad eye

14 April 2019 - 07:52

Dear John,

as all the hardware on our S&S Swan these are custom made by Nautor (and this is why they are still there and looking new after nearly 50 years...), so you need to ask your local shop (or maybe asking to WiBo in Finland, which could be quite expensive) to make set screw.

There were no set screw at the time.

You could even make yours own out of a plastic material, using the female as a mold.

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

14 April 2019 - 09:34

Dear John

Harken has developed the padeye attachment further, and there is a plastic plug which screws in and out together with the eye bolt, which needs to have a ridge for this. The recess has to be deep enough though.
Kind regards
Lars

14 April 2019 - 15:49

Matteo and Professor, thank you for your replies and comments.  Your plastic suggestion is a good one and I shall proceed in that direction.  Hopefully, I can have something done locally in San Diego.

john (43/039 REBECCA)

16 April 2019 - 00:42

My boat, 040/012 uses the same pad eyes - I have a bunch of them and they screw into the fittings that are installed in the deck. I have never had any plugs to screw into those threaded holes: they are just open and my boat is very original and not adulterated. Why would you want to install plugs? Stainless is only corrosion resstant when it get's oxygen and tight fitting plugs may interfere. Besides, now you have to remove a plug before you screw-in the pad eye. Where are you going to put the plug? Into your pocket? You have your hands full already!

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0