Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - New 45 years old Danforth Constellation compass
19 April 2019 - 18:17

New 45 years old Danforth Constellation compass

Dear Friends,

my friend Philippe last year wanted to sell his 45 years old Danforth Constellation compass, and I could not resist, as onboard Vanessa I had a (good one) Suunto D-165 compass but with a black aluminum binnacle, which I did not like very much.

So, I bought the Danforth Constellation (a compass which was originally installed on Philippe's beloved S&S Swan 41/022 Soeur Anne), sent it to F.lli Fassio in Genoa (Italy) to be restored, and they came back to me with the compass completelly overhauled, and the binnacle re-chromed. I love it!

I could be wrong but I don't think such a fantastic compass does exist in nowadays production, they are all made out of plastic (and not solid bronze as this one, and the Suunto D-165).

Thanks a lot Philippe!!!

Fair winds

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

the compass as I have receivedt. After 45 years of honest service

and today, after the restoration (ps the plaque is a gift of the restorer)!

20 April 2019 - 13:42

Dear Matteo,

If you need parts for a Danforth Constellation Compass I have used a company in US, Vikingcompass, who supplied me with any part you might need when renovating these wonderful instruments.

Congratulations on your "new" Compass!

PerS

20 April 2019 - 13:49

Thanks a lot PerS!

Fair winds

matte (47/069 Vanessa)

12 June 2019 - 08:50

I can only agree with Matteo's recommendation of F.lli Fassio in Genoa. I had our old Danforth Constellation (original from 1974, I think) serviced -- the glass dome was etched, it had a crack and was very slowly seeping oil, and the compass looked every bit like the 45 years it had.
And I received back a compass that Vellamo will proudly carry for the next decades ...

Fair winds,
Martin (48/039)

before ...

... and after

02 October 2020 - 10:10

Hi Matteo & Martin,

We are contemplating to have our Danforth Constellation compass refurbished this Winter, too, and I have read your posts regarding this your experience with interest.

Considering the sterling results on both your and Martin’s compass we’ll very likely go with F.lli Fassio in Genoa as well, and feed back our experience here.

To help facilitating the decision and planning I was wondering if you could share your experience regarding the following:

- any tips on how to pack a compass for safe shipping to avoid any transport damage?

- how long did your refurbishments take? Will bbviously depends on what needs to be done (e.g. we need a new dome) but a rough indication would be very helpful indeed.

Thank you very much,

fair winds

Stefan

Kairos - 57/043

02 October 2020 - 11:30

Dear Stefan,

it could take a few weeks if they do not need to rebuild some components (unlikely, it is not a plastic Silva compass, but a bronze Danforth Constellation!!! 😁).

I would very well pack it with a lot of bubble plastic and a box (if you have problem ask a MailBox office, they are expensive but good in packaging) .

Anyway should you need help please let me know, Roberta from Fuselli Fassio knows me quite well by now (I sent her three compasses over the last 15 years, !)

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0