Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Refrigeration unit and zinc issue on a Swan 41
10 May 2019 - 09:23

Refrigeration unit and zinc issue on a Swan 41

Hi,

I have water cooled refrigeration unit Waeco Coolmatic in place and I noticed a big problem. Its drain water pipe have rust away because of lost zinc (I assume). Maybe this could be fixed but in that case I would need new zinc.

Has anyone faced same issue and does anyone know a place where to get similar units and possible new zinc. I would like to keep existing water cooled refrigeration unit because it uses a lot less energy than air cooled system. I asume that major of the S&S Swans has water cooled system?

Thank you for your comments and fair winds!

Henri 41/054

Waeco coolmatic from side

Waeco coolmatic from the top

see rusted pipe

14 May 2019 - 10:48

Dear Henri

Swan 41 did not have any refrigeration system installed originally, and it is likely that there are various units in use now. A water cooled condenser is a good feature, does not heat the interior.
It appears that Dometic now markets the Waeco brand, the suggestion is to contact them.
Kind regards
Lars

24 May 2019 - 08:12

Dear Henri,

we also have sea-water cooled refidgeration systems on our Swan 57/43 'Kairos', although the cooling is for the compressors, not the condensor.

The systems are from Iceberg Norcool in Fredericia, Denmark. Iceberg have been equipping S&S Swans for many years, some even as factory equipped systems for Nautor when they were new. More details on their website www.iceberg.dk.  

We had both our refridgeration systems (240V and engine-driven) replaced in April this year by them and they did a fabulous job - contact is Jonas Lindgren,  + 45 75 51 31 51. 

Jonas is very knowledgeable on water cooled system and very helpful - maybe he can help/provide advice on your system, too.

Good luck and all the best,

Stefan

Kairos
57/43

07 June 2019 - 11:22

Hi,

Thank you for your comments and I manage to find similar unit from boat sparepart shop in Barcelona. Unit was unused and few years old. Now it is installed by a boat mechanic and refrigerator works again perfectly. All good again :)

Fair winds,

Henri

Zorro, Swan 41/054 

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 2