Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Sail & Rigging - Swan 47 roller furler recommendations
24 April 2020 - 22:08

Swan 47 roller furler recommendations

Boat has an old Profurl unit that has been regularly 'rebuilt' over the last several years but before i go offshore I believe it is ready to be replaced. I know that every owner has their gear preference but would very much like input from the community as to which units have provided good reliable service as well as what size of each brand you use.

Boat has a 135% genoa and do not intend to go larger seeing as we will be sailing 2 up most of the time.

Thank you/

25 April 2020 - 06:43

Dear Adrian,

my experience:

Onboard my previous Swan  (38/067 Only You) I changed an old Harken and bought a Reckmann, and when I bought Vanessa in 2015 I found a Reckmann too, which the previous owner (she had only him before me) told me have never been repaired/overhauled over the previous 35 years (!), so I had it overhauled, and I am sure it is now ready to safely sail us for the next 35!

Reckmann are awfully expensive but as our Sparkman&Stephens designed Swan are, they do not save money on the quality.

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

25 April 2020 - 19:46

Dear Adrian,

Congratulations on acquiring your 47, and very best of luck with the work you have planned. Im interested to hear you intend to do some double handed racing, something I have dabbled with and found great fun and rewarding.

I changed my old Profurl to a Harken Mk3 about 15 years ago. It is still going, but getting worn. It has never really let me down, but I had hoped it would be easier to wind up sails than it is. I dont know the Anderson, but know they have a good reputation and are probably better engineered. If I change to another manual type, then the diameter of the drum will be a factor. (I like the look of the wide single pulley furlers as used on A Sails with endless line which must give far better leverage to wind in a sail than the traditional genoa furler, but I havent seen that system used much on genoas yet.)

Best regards

Rob

Sarabande 47/029

30 April 2020 - 17:15

Thank you Matteo for pointing out that our Swans deserve the best!

Now I have to get a Reckmann quote!

Will keep you posted - 

30 April 2020 - 17:36

Dear Adrian,

in old times S&S Swan were built at the highest standard, not a single penny was saved to buy and install the best equipment available on the market, Sparkman&Stephens Swan were not "...built on a budget...".

:-)

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

an old American adv (circa 1967)

30 April 2020 - 22:23

LOL - do you have any info as to how much a 47 cost ex factory ?

01 May 2020 - 14:05

Walidada : I had a Bamar electric installed two years ago. No Hydraulic issues. It has been amazing although two years is not much.  I haven't found any servicing instructions however except a motor resisitance test. I intend to go to the factory sometime (Forli) to ask.

On that note however 5 years ago we found that the stem fitting had bent with the loads of Code Zero and Gennekar on the bowsprit.   It was reinforced and now fine.  Worth a check.

Jonathan.

01 May 2020 - 15:31

Dear Jonathan,

mine did not, not yet, but I remember you had this problem, so during this last winter (when Vanessa was completely dismantled to receive her new teak deck) I took the chance to double the weak corner with a 5 mm. plate, please see below pics.

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

Before

After (detail)

During re-installation

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0