Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Leaky sliding hatch Swan 40 #22
28 May 2020 - 18:37

Leaky sliding hatch Swan 40 #22

Hi S&S Swan owners,

I am making good progress in bringing back my Swan 40 into good shape. With help of you, I managed to realize several project last three years. The next one on my list is the repair of the leaking sliding hatch. I saw a lot of advise about hatches in the forum. Even with very nice drawngs about where to place the extra seals. But unfortunately not so much information about the specific Swan 40 hatch. The construction seems different to me. I prefer not to replace the hatch, but just make it more waterproof. I am thinking of at least replacing the front and back two seals. But I am wondering if that will be enough. So a few questions:

- What seals do you suggest? Will cell-rubber do the job for front and rear side
- Has the material of the seal to be Neoprene
- what to do with the original rails on the left and right sides? Seals needed?

Would be nice to get some of your ideas about this. I will take some pictures soon.

Kind regards,

Jolling Lodema, Swan 40 #22

30 May 2020 - 15:01

Dear Jolling, I have given up to get the sliding hatch watertight and changed it a few years ago to another hatch whth hinges opened from forward and it has turned out to be completely waterproof. The new hatch has the same dimensions and could easily be mounted on the same place. Furhermore I could place a sunpanel on the roof behind the hatch between the former slides, which protects the panel. I will take some photos and send later if you want.

Simultaneously I made some rearrangements under the deck. The berths were lowered about 15 cm and the berth on the portside broadend so it is much more comfortable. You can now easily sit on it under deck and the corner to the toilet wall is a "cosy corner". It is now updated to the "captains berth" and the room to "captains cabin". The berth on the starboard side is mostly used for stowage, but can be broadened using slides when wanted.

Best regards, Happy sailing.

Leif (Sunniva V, S&S Swan 40#36)

02 June 2020 - 06:04

Hi Leif,

Thank you. I think I also must take that route! The construction of the proginal hatch seems to be the best! Especiallyy the sides of the front hatch with the tufnol rails seem difficult to close. What brand and type did you choose. And... I would love to see some pictures of your redesigned cabin! Maybe easier on FB.

Thnx Jolling

09 June 2020 - 05:03

Hi Jolling,

when I got Stormsvale she had been on the hard for 18 years. Both the forward and aft hatches were destroyed. I replaced the forward hatch with  a Lewmar Ocean hatch... with a little modification... I.e teak trim it fit right in. I have been happy with it. That was in 1997, I have replaced the lense once due to UV light but other than that no issues.  Ophelia, another 40 hull number 8 has different dimensions for the hatch opening and needs a custom hatch..

Original or modern... concours or ... a question you have to ask yourself...

all the best

Mike

09 June 2020 - 17:43

Thanks everyone,

For now I will probaly go the 'new hatch' way. The Lewmar or maybe the Goiot. It will wait until the winter-season. For a now self-sewn cover. I will keep you updated here.

Thnx again,

Jolling Lodema
Swan 40, #22 (1971)

11 June 2020 - 16:57

Hello jolling, when i got my 411, there was no hatch anymore, so i build one with foam and fiber / epoxy by my self. 

I find it is not to dificult, depends on your own skills.

Made it also way more flush to the deck.

If you are interested, i can send more pictures about the single steps.

The hatch is light and strong, opens in both directions, even komplete dismountable.

And non  skid on top.

Stefan, 411/02

11 June 2020 - 20:33

Hi Stefan,

Really nice solution. It would be nice to see the endresult. But for me it might be a little too big project. Working precisely on with my hands is not my biggest talent! I think I will opt for fitting the best replacement hatch. Probably I will have to do some extra work to make it fit.

But if it is not to much work for you I would love to see some more pics!

Thnx Jolling

12 June 2020 - 11:58

Dear  Jolling,

Sorry to be late with my answer. The hatch as you may have guessed from Lewmar. I enclose some pictures from the deck to illustrate how it turned out. The corona virus has caused many complications in life and our sailing plans are “upside-down” for the moment. Sunniva is still at the wharf at some distance from me, but I will come back with photos of the “captains cabin” later.

Best regards,

Leif (S&S 49#36)

12 June 2020 - 22:02

Dear Leif,

Good to hear from you. Here the same with the sailing. Not good. From 15 june there are some more options in the marina's Hope the second part of the season will be better.

Seems I am not able to see the attached photo. No hurry!

Stay healthy!!

Kind regards, Jolling

13 June 2020 - 20:06

Hi everyone,

Seems to be really old. Maybe replace right now. Think a Lewmar Ocean Size 70 would fit in a way. Needs some additional constructionwork. Ideas are very welcome. SOme pics attached.

Kind regards, 

Jolling

14 June 2020 - 17:22

That is exactly the Lewmar model I selected and it fitted well. I have sent photos to your email address since there was something odd that happened with the photos on theis chat.

14 June 2020 - 20:38

Thanks Leham! Got the pics!! I will go that way. But it will be a winter project. For now a quick fix!

• Threads : 1698
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0