Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Bimini and solar panels
09 April 2008 - 22:39

Bimini and solar panels

Gents,

We are going to make a longish tropical passage with Swan 44 and need to install cockpit sun cover and solar panels. We are planning to combine these two by installing solar panels on top of aft cockpit. 

I have not seen many pictures of sun covers in S&S Swans. Would be nice to hear how you have constructed sun covers and located solar panels with your boats.

Yours,

Jussi Tuominen 

08 June 2008 - 17:06

Being that no one has replied so far, here are my observations from what I have seen, what works and on boats I have sailed:
The bimini should be installed over a rigid frame that can fold back against the backstay. The cloth, 8oz canvas or Sunbrella, is then wrapped around the frame, sometimes using a tubular cover with a zipper. Zipper must have Delrin slide. Bimini must be strong enough to take 35 knots and heavy rain. There should be side curtains made from black mesh. It keeps most of the sun out and still gives visibility. They can be installed when the conditions call for it, otherwise, they are stowed. The solar panels should be hinged off the lifelines; one each port & stbd adjacent to the cockpit. That way, they can be tilted up at an angle perpendicular to the sun. Having one on each side, one is always in the sun regardless what tack you are on. On my boat one 40 watt panel takes care of all electrical needs including autopilot, but I don't use refrigeration, have an icebox instead. Also, there is no solenoid to engage the autopilot, but a hand operated valve. A solenoid uses one Ampere. A change I'd make for the next passage: Install LED running lights. I'm already using some LED's for cabin lights and anchor light.

10 June 2008 - 20:47

I found the picture I remembered of a boat like mine-S&S 40-showing a sun awning. It was taken in the Indian Ocean.

15 February 2009 - 20:29

• Threads : 1709
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0