Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Heads compartment base shelf
21 July 2021 - 20:19

Heads compartment base shelf

Having removed the Baby Blake from the heads compartment of my 411 I have found that the surface of the shelf on which it sits is not flat and appears to have become distorted/lifted over time possibly due to water ingress since I discovered one of the toilet mounting bolts missing leaving a hole in the shelf where it should have been. I'm seeking advice on how I should go about making good the base shelf to be true and flat before re-installing the Baby Blake. What lies under the shelf on which the Baby Blake sits? Many thanks for any help and advice offered.

22 July 2021 - 11:39

In a 1978 57, there was inside the stratification a reinforcement with an aluminum plate… now very corroded.

NSGS decided to remove this plate and rebuild a complete epoxy base.

Yves / Algol 57 007

24 July 2021 - 09:32

Hi Tim,

in line with Yves response, we too found some smaller and one large crack in the gelcoat of Kairo's forward starbord toilet fixing points. Had this repaired in 2019 and if I recall correctly the feedback from the yard was that there is an aluminium plate providing support.

I would think this arrangement to be the same on other S&S Swans?

Our aluminium plate wasn't in too bad of a state so it was left in and just the damaged gelcoat ground away, possibly some GRP layers added, and then the gelcoat was replaced.

The result is fantastic, you can't spot the repair at all. Just had a look if I have some photos but it seems that I have them filed away so well that I can't find them now ...

Hope this helps,

fair winds

Stefan

Kairos 57043

24 July 2021 - 15:13

Dear All

If the aluminium backing plate is retained, the important thing is to prevent water from seeping down along the screw threads, and cause corrosion to the aluminium. The corrosion forms aluminium oxide, which has a larger volume than the metal. and this is the reason for the swelling inside the laminate
Kind regards
Lars

• Threads : 1698
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0