Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Sail & Rigging - Swan 55 Yawl, Inner forestay anchor point drawings.
29 October 2021 - 09:32

Swan 55 Yawl, Inner forestay anchor point drawings.

Hello Professor, Hello Friends.

Before I acquired 55/012 Tauranga/Gandalf Wight Sorcerer her foredeck was converted and the inner forestay was removed.

I now have a very nice long (new) king plank and a nice lewmar windlass but nowhere to a anchor an inner fore stay.

Although I'm not really planning to remanufacture the original set up, I'm looking for drawings of the original generall assembly. Particularly I would like to understand how&where the strongpoint was attached, as I assume, to the forward bulkhead. 

I would appreciate very much any help on the matter.

fair winds

Michele

04 November 2021 - 16:05

Dear Michele

The Swan 55 deck drawing shows a Hyfield lever for the inner forestay, and the stay attachment is at station 0, a little aft of the bulkhead. This probably means that  there was a tie rod down to the lower part of the bulkhead.
Assume you prefer to attach the stay to the deck above the bulkhead, then an L-shaped backing plate is suggested, running below deck transversely from side to side, with one leg of the L against the bulkhead, the other against the deck. To be bent to the deck camber, or alternatively laminated.
The attachment on deck could be a double Wichard folding eye - one for the stay and one for the sail.
How does this sound?
Kind regards
Lars

16 November 2021 - 07:09

Thank you very much Lars, that is very useful!

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0