Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Swan 40 - New faucet mixer (plumbing connectors dimensions)
28 January 2022 - 09:52

Swan 40 - New faucet mixer (plumbing connectors dimensions)

Dear All,

I am trying to change the faucets (WC and Galley) of my boat. It seems there is a world of differente dimensions for the plumbing connections.

I belive my boat has original or similar copper water pipes. On both, WC and Galley, pipes end in a female connector similar to a size 1/4 inch diammeter, but it is not as I tryed.

Anyone know what is the standard size in swans for the pipe connectores? I believe mine is in mm not in inches.

Any suggestions on Classic and similar to original faucets?

Thank you and fair winds.

Duarte (Star Swan 047/51)

WC faucet (hot water is not flowing)

Galley very difficult to operate. I am looking for a Mixer type

Faucet I am thinking to buy

28 January 2022 - 11:08

Dear Duarte,

onboard Vanessa I have two faucets, one is still the original, exactly matching yours, and the second one changed by previous Owner and very similar, but definitely not the same quality.

Nautor, in those years, used equipment which if used nowadays will get them bankrupt in two weeks, anyway Owners of modern boat does not look at quality and engineering and design, they want a shiny boat  which will be beautiful  in a Marina (beauty is of course a matter of personal taste…).

This to say before getting rid of old and superb faucets I will try to dissolve the limestone, e.g. putting the faucet in a bucket with vinegar.

Just an idea!

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

28 January 2022 - 11:40

Hi Matteo.

Thank you. I am a big supporter of maintaining the original too. 

Ill try to do that. The problem I have is that I do not have hot water in the faucet on the WC. I check the pipe and I have water there so the problem is in the hot water handle, which I am not beeing able to disasemble as the small red dot cover seems quite integrated in chrome handle and does not come off in order to change the internal mechanism.

Is the Galley faucet original? It does not seem. I send you the photo.

Again thank you!!!

Duarte (Star Swan)

28 January 2022 - 11:55

Dear Duarte,

it looks original to me. Lars?

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

28 January 2022 - 16:54

Dear Duarte and Matteo

Pls check if GROHE has similar faucets.

Kind regards

Lars

28 January 2022 - 19:03

Thank you, Lars,

I have check Grohe catalogue and did not see anything similar. I am aware that you mention before on some earlier posts.

Preferably I will try to follow Matteo’s advice and bring the original taps back to life. The only problem is that I do not know how to take the knob out of the tap as there is not any locking screw to take the knob out and reach the valve... (See photo)

Another question is to know the diameter of the connections fittings (female) as in Portugal the plumbing goes for inches and on the boat, it seems a 1/4'' but it’s not. Any special diameter? 

The new faucets come with 3/8’’ size fittings but I have male reducers from 3/8’’  to ¼’’ but it does not fit.

Sometimes I feel frustrated, one of the reasons I bought a 1972 boat was the idea of entertaining myself by slowly fixing and restore things, but it seems that none of the 1000 little projects I have to do goes smoothly. It always takes more time and effort than expected. Still getting to know the boat and its dimensional units... 

I am so sorry to start to be to active in this forum...

Thank you again!

Duarte (Star Swan)

28 January 2022 - 21:33

Dear Duarte,

this forum is for ACTIVE S&S Swan Owners, so all of readers (Members and non.Members) are already appreciating your activity!

Please never stop!

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

29 January 2022 - 12:00

dear all,

here the new faucet installed by NSGS on 57-007, as I requested...

I must admit I did not check if these were exactly the originals, as the previous ones were absolutely not the original ones...

but they are ok with the boat style and good quality (when new...)

fair winds all !

Algol / Yves - S&S Swan 57-007

new faucet toilets by NSGS

new faucet galley by NSGS

29 January 2022 - 12:03

Sorry, can't help here... All non original due to burglary while in storage out of my possession.

She was stripped of almost everything while in storage in the US pre my purchase of her... A junkie yard worker....Sad on all counts!!! 

Best wishes 

MIke

29 January 2022 - 12:04

Dear Yves,

I have the same faucet in my fwd toilet, it works so.and.so, quite good for a few years, but unfortunately I promise it won't last for the next 40!

Today's quality, scheduled obsolescence, we have to accept it, alas.

Fair winds,

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

31 January 2022 - 11:15

Hi Duarte,

as Matteo already said - never stop posting as it will help others that have the same problem in the future to save a lot of time ... and someone will have the same problem, trust me!

The Forum is a gold mine of information plus the source of extremely valuable help and very supportive members - for example, I just had invaluable help from Daniele Fua on the Neco autopilot last week.

As for 'boat problems' - I am agfraid I'd agree, sometimes it feels they will never stop. In some respects, they probably won't as it's such a complex system but hey -  it can be frustratingly slow progress sometimes but overall think of the improvements you made and how beautiful she'll look ...  it's worth it! 

I  just spent the weekend on Kairos looking at electrics etc.; we fixed around 10 items  of the list and while doing so found (or caused - oops!) at least 5 new ones... so you are not on your own :-)

All the best and fair winds,

Stefan

Kairos - 57/043

PS: If it makes you feel better - I have a friend who bought a brand new yacht a few years ago and had seemlingly endless problems, too. On a brand new boat ... much more frustrating, I'd say ... took a couple of years to sort most of them out with the manufacturer.

02 February 2022 - 02:33

Dear All,

I am writing you to give feedback on my "New 50-year-old faucet mixer".

My currently position is:

36º52'.534N , 001º47'.244W heading Cabo da Gata. The night is quiet and is my shift.

I am currently sailing just with my sister and meals couldn't be better.

Today I wated to give a special thanks to Mateo to motivate me not to change the faucets, "the Professor" for giving me explanations with nice photos on how to remove the knobs out and for all the rest to giving me positive energy to do these jobs and posting.

As so, It took me around 4 hours to restore the original WC faucet as the valves were completely calcinated on the tap and because I could not remove the tap out as there is a plate under where the water pipes go through.

Finally, I was able to unscrew the valves and disassemble them completely. With vinegar and a brush, I clean very deep and after I applied a special marine grease.

The faucet is working PªERFECTLY, I am so so happy to have the original and beautiful faucet working (with hot water now) that although it seems a small and easy job, far from it believe me, It just gave me a nice story to remember every time go to my Star Swan WC!

By the away, behind the faucet I found a small engraving with the brand and model:

Brand: Grohe

Model: PA IX 1062/11    123L

Fair Winds,

Duarte Champalimaud (Star Swan 40/047)

02 February 2022 - 02:36

02 February 2022 - 12:24

Hoi guys,

Maybe you should look for those ones? They're fitted on Tarot......

Good luck!

Geert

Swan 37 TAROT

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0