Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Swan 44 - fuel pipes
13 February 2022 - 07:36

Swan 44 - fuel pipes

Hello everyone

I am replacing my fuel pre-filter to a Racor with a transparent plastic bowl which also includes a priming pump to make it easier to change and bleed at sea in an emergency.

The current filter is fitted forward of the fuel tank and connected to the system with copper pipes between the filter and the tank and only includes short rubber hoses to connect to the engine.

Newer boats seem to use rubber hoses throughout but i would like to keep the original specification of pipes.

I may need to change one of the pipes and re-flare the connections; could anyone confirm if the correct pipe to use is normal copper as commonly used in a/c installations or if there is a special grade that i should use?

Also there is currenly a stop cock on the intake side of the filter; since the filter is fitted level with the top of the fuel tank i am considering to move the stop cock to the outlet side of the filter. This way it would make changing the filter much easier since it may be closed before letting air into the filter and stop the air getting further up the fuel lines therefore making bleeding much easier and quicker in the case of an emergency. Is this a good idea or is there a safety issue with not having a shut off valve before the filter?

regards,

dav

• Threads : 1698
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 1