Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Delamination of the deck
11 August 2022 - 21:44

Delamination of the deck

Hi all,

I was in "discussion" allready in another tread but I think it's worthwile to start a thread of its own for this subject.

I am a firm believer in S&S Swans, after 28 years of owning one. However recently I noticed on a Swan without teakdecks some flexible parts on the deck. Most parts of the deck were rock solid but some parts were flexible when putting weight on it with your own body. Also the flexible parts were not on the same spots on port and starboard....

I also tapped with a hammer on this flexible parts and by the sound of it it appeared to be delamimated. Perhaps the polyester is delaminated from the divinycell core?

Has anyone ever encountered something similar on a S&S swan? 

Jan

19 August 2022 - 16:21

Dear Jan,

sorry for late reply.

Could you please send me (privately) hull number of the boat?

As told before, this is  unusual, and if there is delamination, the cause (it's likely to be because of an accident) must be investigated.

Ultrasound carried out by an experienced technician will tell you if there is delamination. Everything could be repaired.

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

19 August 2022 - 20:52

Dear Matteo,

There is absolutely no doubt that there is delamination. It can be easily determined f.i. by tapping with a 100gr hammer.

I am curious what the experience is of others, what the cause was and how they have dealt with it. Repair is not very difficult, but it has to be done the right way. And there are more "ways" depending on the size of the spot and the cause.

I will send the hull number to you.

kind regards

jan

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0