Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - glowplug
01 February 2023 - 11:18

glowplug

Hi

I have Perkins 4.108 and I need to replace the  glowplug. The previous owner has suggested it since it has never been used due to thefact that it was sailed in hot climate. does anyone know wher to get one and how to replace it? Thanks.

07 February 2023 - 09:09

Dear "kaz",

I guess you made sure that you need to replace the glowplug at all. I relocated our boat from the warm Mediterranean to the cold waters of Northern Europe (including Northern Norway) and have never encountered problems with starting the engine, not even at the beginning of the season. In daily use, I think the remaining warmth in the insulated engine compartment seems to be enough.

We have a Yanmar so I cannot help you conclusively with the Perkins, but I ran a quick Google search and found a number of sources for the glowplug, most of them in the tractor business (like owners of vintage boats, these guys sometimes need to replace original parts with different brands, so they know what fits) ... suggest you try that way for a replacement plug, if you need one.

Hope that helps,
Martin

08 February 2023 - 22:08

Dear Kaz,  I do not believe the 4108 has glow plugs.  

Chris  Mabel's Casse Tete 43 003

08 February 2023 - 22:10

I may be wrong...I did a search and found glow plugs for the Perkins 4.108...

13 February 2023 - 13:39

On the advice of Jamestown Boat Yard the Perkins 4.108 on Yankee Boy 411/16 has just this winter been fitted with a glo. 

14 February 2023 - 10:53

Thanks guys for your replies. I wil need to do more research.

14 February 2023 - 12:40

According to my own experience and also based on the experience of all the people with whom we discussed this matter, the glow plugs in the Perkins 4.108 (they can be fitted indeed) are hardly necessary.  My old and faithful Perkins with so many hours that I do not keep track of, never rebuilt in the last 20 years, sometimes smoking a little bit more than I would like, has always started happily after a few seconds of cranking.  This without glow plugs and without any other help like ether even at temperatures around 0 deg C.  Its only and most important requirement was a well charged battery which would turn the flywheel at the right rpm.

Of course at much lower temperatures there are different problems but my guess is that the glow plugs only would not be of help in any case and keeping the oil sump warm would be the important thing to do.

Daniel, 411/004 Luna Menguante

20 February 2023 - 16:36

Hello dear Perkins 4108 users!

When we bought our Soeur Anne some 40 years ago we had the engine rebuilt, and I also changed the glow plug. If I am right I remember that the glow plug should have a small special tank which by gravity will send some fuel to the glow plug when starting the engine. THis did not exist and I beleive the idea was that the primary fuel pump would suffice to directly send the fuel. I don't think it did!

I any case my new glow plug quikly burned... 

That was in the second year or so.

So, definitely forget about it.

If your engine is in reasonable condition, it does not need any glow plug to start, just a good battery!

If it has been idle for a long time, I recommend to crank the engine for around 10 seconds  with the "stop" command  engaged to send some oil around the engine.

Enjoy your Swan!

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 2