Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Keel Bolts and General Topics on Keel - Crack on Keel, Swan 55 Yawl
18 February 2025 - 18:29
#1
Join Date: 10 March 2009
Posts: 26

Crack on Keel, Swan 55 Yawl

This is Gandalf, Tauranga, Swan 55/012. This crack has appeared whilst the boat was on hard stand this winter. Some water seems to be coming out. Hard to imagine where it's going in. The brutes have left some whater in the bilge, and did not remove the bilge cap. The idea that water might be oosing out of the bilge in the crack gives me the hibie-geebies

Have seen stories about other models with smiles, and cracks, I do not know if this looks any different. Key input required revolves around understanding what should be checked and what instructions to give to the yard to get to the bottom of this!

Any input would be much appreciated!

Best

M

keel crack 1

keel crack 2

keel crack 3

22 February 2025 - 22:54
#2
Join Date: 19 January 2025
Posts: 16

Hi Michele,

With ALL disclaimers possible, I am not an expert at all, just a modest thought.

1. Check the possible process to add lead material to a keel. It is not only lead but an alloy with some antimony added for hardness. My keel of a Swan 41 has 400 kg added as an upgrade made by previous owners. That was made by the Nautor yard. My guess is that that it was externally added and formed into shape. So; I would check with the Nautor yard, how that process goes - if possible.

2. Then, if process is clear and your yard is ready to do it, I would grind out the crack, follow it to see how deep it goes and to prepare it for repair. 

3. I would not exclude that the keel would need to be detached from the hull.

4. In best case, it is shallow surface cracks which can be ground out and epoxied, without much fuss...

I really hope that you will find a solution that will work for you!

24 February 2025 - 11:41
#3
Join Date: 29 January 2007
Posts: 1145

Dear Michele,

is there a GRP layer on top of the lead keel? I can see a lot of filler but do not understand if there is even some GRP as many S&S Swan have (later addition, wrong), in that case I would firstly eliminate that layer, carefully clean the keel in order to understand if that's only some water entrapped in between the grp/keel.

I am not sure if the S&S Swan 55 (as the S&S Swan 36) has keel bolts not casted into the keel but she has drilled holes, with nuts also at the lower end, which sould be very carefully sealed in order to prevent corrosion.

Could you please post some more pics with full keel and less detailed?

Thanks!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

  • Threads : 1804
  • Posts : 10761
  • Members: 862
  • Online Members: 0