Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Swan 44 Holding tank.
10 April 2025 - 07:16
#1
Join Date: 07 April 2025
Posts: 47

Swan 44 Holding tank.

I note from the technical drawings that having a holding tank was an optional extra on the 44. Has anyone got one, and if so where is it? I'd be very grateful for any photos.

13 April 2025 - 21:00
#2
Join Date: 19 January 2025
Posts: 16

Hi Sweyn,

My guess is that it could be unmder the starboard aft cabin bed.

I have a 41 and they are very similar and that is where it is placed. I can not figure out any other suibable placement for a sizable tank.

BR,

Robert 

20 April 2025 - 04:36
#3
Join Date: 21 April 2021
Posts: 19

Hi Sweyn

On 44 011 the holding tank is located behind the sink in the head, directly above the outlet seacock.

It drains out to sea by gravity and has a pump out point on deck directly above.

I believe that this was added by a previous owner and is it simple and functional.

I understand that the original design included a pump to emptry and i would recomend the solution fitted to my boat.

 

20 April 2025 - 14:18
#4
Join Date: 05 August 2010
Posts: 177

Dear Sweyn,

we too have fitted a holding tank (Vellamo is a roomy 48, so pictures are probably not fully useful) to the forward head. I'd strongly suggest using any available space in the head and not fit the tank into a stateroom. Mayby you get lucky and yours proves to be eternally odour-free, but likely, it will not. Plus, you may need to open it if anything is wrong. Sh** happens. Literally. But better not in a stateroom.

What we did is sacrifice one of the lockers in the head. That area is above the waterline and is easily accessible. I built a light plywood model first to check whether the tank would fit through the locker door including all its fittings (very important). Gravity will empty the tank, but we do have a flushing pump installed as well, by suggestion of the tank manufacturer. The flushing pump acts as a backstop valve as well, so when heeling we do not flood the tank and press its contents back in the direction of the toilet. And, yes, we do have a deck access for a vacupump as well. Not only is it mandatory in some areas, it also proves to be very practical for cleaning/flushing the tank.

Go ahead with it. Not polluting your own beautiful anchorage does have its advantages.

Fair winds,
Martin (Vellamo, 48/039)

20 April 2025 - 15:29
#5
Join Date: 29 January 2007
Posts: 1145

Dear Sweyn,

I totally agree with Martin, and I opted for his solution too (of course the 47 is roomier too) therefore I gave up to one of the two lockers in the toilet compartment, but I am very happy about this layout, and as Martin says, sh... happens (ssooner or later, it will!), and to have the tank in the locker into the toilet room is far better than having it in the saloon or in the cabin!

Please keep us posted on your solution!

Fair winds,

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

21 April 2025 - 06:54
#6
Join Date: 07 April 2025
Posts: 47

Thank you

24 April 2025 - 11:50
#7
Join Date: 29 January 2007
Posts: 1145

I found a better image, here you are!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

24 April 2025 - 16:22
#8
Join Date: 27 January 2011
Posts: 166

Our solution is described here: https://www.classicswan.org/forum/post_thread.php?thread=2228&nopage=1 . So far no issues with odor. I agree a gravity-based tank setup in the head itself is the best possible solution, but in a 411 space is very limited there. 

Kind regards,

Christian 411/028 IF

26 April 2025 - 06:39
#9
Join Date: 07 April 2025
Posts: 47

Thanks again. Do you find that that tank is big enough, or do you wish you had larger?

26 April 2025 - 08:07
#10
Join Date: 29 January 2007
Posts: 1145

perfect for the two of us (me and my wife), for 4/5 days, the dog does not like the Baby Blake toilet alas...!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

  • Threads : 1804
  • Posts : 10761
  • Members: 862
  • Online Members: 0