Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Hydralic Backstay Swan 41, Kreuger Mk2 repair
14 May 2025 - 14:42
#1
Join Date: 19 January 2025
Posts: 16

Hydralic Backstay Swan 41, Kreuger Mk2 repair

Hi,

I have had my hydralic backstaj tensioner repaired by a marine hydralics workshop in Stockholm. It is a Kreuger Mk2 tensioner, which was leaking by the pump and some at the top shaft sealing. 

After investigating it, getting the patent drawings for the MK1 at this site, and the spare parts list for the Mk2 I have the following conclusions;

- The drawing/description is not really corresponding to the MK2

- The spare parts list was missing one oring.

- It took them 3 hours of worktime

Please find below the foto of the orings used by the workshop. I had planned to do it myself but I was worried of stuck stainless steel bolts in bronze housing, sitting for 52 years and I lacked a heavy duty vise to keep and pull parts with. So I found these guys who were not intimidated and commented that it is simple hydralics.

The operation went and it works fine! To also comment, the bolts loosened normally, there was about half a centimeter of crud in the bottom from debris and old oil. They suggest changing the oil like every 10 years. 

The manometer is still the old one and has a leaked sight glass. I am looking if I can replace it with a scuba auxilliary bottle manometer. Preassure and size wise they should work. I need to check thread match aging before ordering a new manometer.

 

 

Partslist O-rings for Kreuger MK2 (1973)

  • Threads : 1804
  • Posts : 10761
  • Members: 862
  • Online Members: 0