Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)
| S&S Swan General - 411 new standing rigging |
|---|
|
Join Date: 13 June 2025
Posts: 30 |
||
|---|---|---|
|
411 new standing rigging May I request advice on the standing rigging specifications for a Swan 411.The drawings show rod rigging in several places. What is the correct upgrade wire type for the various stays V1, V2, V3 and diagonals D1 and D2. Many thanks for your help and advice. Kind regards Michael Dalton (Swan 411/022 Sundance)
|
|
Join Date: 27 January 2011
Posts: 166 |
||
|---|---|---|
|
Hi Michael, the sizes for rod and wires are shown on the sailplan. I am attaching the sailplan that came with my boat (028/411). Not sure if the resolution is good enough to read the numbers. If not, please provide your private mail via the forum mail to chrisblum, then I will email you my full resolution copy. Regards, Christian 028/411 IF ![]() |
|
Join Date: 13 June 2025
Posts: 30 |
||
|---|---|---|
|
Hi Christian Many thanks for your response on the 411 standing rigging and for the original rigging drawing. I'm considering upgrading to Dyform (compacted strand) wire rigging for all verticals and diagonals. I understand dyform is around 30% stronger than regular 1x19 wires with 25% less stretch. For example 10mm regular 1x19 breaking strain is 7,250 kgs whereas dyform 10mm breaking strain is 10,000 kgs. The main drawback of dyform is the cost. It's around twice the price. I've discarded the idea of refitting rod rigging (as per factory specifications) on availability and cost grounds but also because I'm told it's more difficult to assess the condition. In summary dyform is not at the same level of performance as rod rigging but is reasonably close. What's your view of dyform rigging wire for the 411 compared to rod and standard 1x19 wire? Kind regards Michael Dalton (411/022 Sundance) |
|
Join Date: 27 January 2011
Posts: 166 |
||
|---|---|---|
|
Hi Michael, I cannot provide any view on dyform vs rod. I did some reading and it certainly looks interesting! I replaced the standing rigging on our 411 a few years ago, and chose to follow the specs on the sailplan. At the time all inox was removed from the mast and isolated against the aluminum. The VHF cable was also exchanged. The mast shoe was sanded and galvanized. What I should/could have done also with some hindsight: change all lights to LED, install an NMEA 2000 windvane, put sail protection at the spreader ends, consider a new genoa furler. Some of this work was done later. Good luck with all the interesting work you are planning to do on your boat! If you are interested we could have a call and exchange ideas. We bought our 411 in 2011 and have been improving it continuously. Kind regards, Christian 411/028 IF
|
|
Join Date: 13 June 2025
Posts: 30 |
||
|---|---|---|
|
Hi Christian Good to hear about the work you've carried out on IF .The rigger and my surveyor are proposing to fit compacted wire (dyform) to replace only the original rod shrouds with V1 at 12mm with V2 and V3 at 8nm. The remainder of the rigging will be 1x19 wire as per the original metric diameters shown on the plan. I do note that 12mm at V1 is quite a bit larger than the Swan 411 V1 rod diameter of 0.375 inches or 9.52 mm shown on the plan. The BS on compacted 12mm wire easily exceeds the specified minimum BS of 23,400 lbs by some margin, but with a little extra windage! . Thinking back on your refit plans hindsight is always 20/20. I expect there'll be masses of stuff I don't consider on Sundance that would have been easier to do in the workshop. I'd be delighted to chat and exchange ideas. I'll be in a better position to do that after I've had an opportunity to get to grips with the boat when she's back in the water. Where do you keep your yacht? Sundance is currently in Lanzarote, but I plan to move her to the Mediterranean after I've done some trial sailing as soon as possible after the refit. The next steps are to laminate the hull, refit the keel and rudder. I'll post news and more photos over the next few weeks. Michael Dalton (411/022 Sundance)
|
|
Join Date: 05 August 2010
Posts: 177 |
||
|---|---|---|
|
Dear all, here's what our esteemed Professor Lars said regarding Dyform: Dyform can very well be used in the forestay, as the ends cannot rotate, but should be avoided in the backstay if there is a hydraulic tensioner. The tensioner piston rod can rotate, and this allows the Dyform to unwind itself under high loads.
It can also be commented that Dyform has rather sharp corners on the strands, and if used in shrouds this will eat the sail stitchings.
Kind regards
Lars
Fair winds, |
- Threads : 1804
- Posts : 10761
- Members: 862
- Online Members: 0

