Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Sail & Rigging - New luff cars for mainsail
28 January 2026 - 16:07
#1
Join Date: 15 December 2023
Posts: 15

New luff cars for mainsail

We'd like to make it easier to raise and lower mainsail on our S&S Swan 48 (Galatea, hull 013). The 52 m² fully-battened mainsail is new (less than 1000 miles). The batten cars are old and they stick when raising and lowering the sail, so we think we need to replace the batten cars and mast track. We think batten cars with captured ball bearings would offer lower friction, but we're not sure whether to use Harken (ball bearing) Battcars or Antal cars with composite bushings or ball bearings. Do you have experience with either Harken or Antal batten cars, or can you make a recommendation? Our top priority is to reduce friction, but we also value durability and reliability. 

Andy Schell at 59 North says that Isbjørn (S&S Swan 48/002) uses Antal composite sliders for over 70,000 nmi with no issues, so I'm likely copy Isbjørn. But I also need to replace the luff track on the mast.

Our old track is 27 mm wide, but is not compatible with the Antal sliders, which are 24 mm wide. What have others done to address this issue? What are the pitfalls in replacing the track?

P.S. Andy also suggests replacing the halyard sheaves at the top of the mast. We have the original mast and sheaves and the latter are not very smooth and they stick a bit under load.

28 January 2026 - 18:10
#2
Join Date: 29 January 2007
Posts: 1145

Dear Robert,

I think Andy is right, and would change the halyards sheaves, but do not agree with him on Antal products.

I had a great problem with Antal gears a few years ago, some blocks (on ball bearings), that after a couple of years stopped working properly, and when I asked Antal to repair the blocks they suggested me to buy new ones.

I did, but bought Harken blocks which are absolutely perfect.

Will never, ever, buy an Antal product in the future.

Onboard Vanessa my track is an old Frederiksen, installed by the previous owner (Frederiksed does not exist anymore, but it's now part of Ronstan company), and never had an issue, I am happy with it.

Fair winds,

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

29 January 2026 - 01:53
#3
Join Date: 15 December 2023
Posts: 15

Hi Matteo,

Thank you for your candid remarks about Antal. I can understand when things break, but if a company won't stand behind their product, that is a serious issue!

Sincerely,
Robert (48/013 Galatea)

30 January 2026 - 06:56
#4
Join Date: 05 August 2010
Posts: 177

Hi Robert,

we changed the luff cars on our 48/039 Vellamo to Rutgerson cars, as I wrote in an earlier thread, see below. So far, we had no worries at all with the cars, so keep that as an option.

Best regards,
Martin

 

https://classicswan.org/forum/post_thread.php?thread=2567&nopage=1

  • Threads : 1804
  • Posts : 10761
  • Members: 862
  • Online Members: 0