Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Bukh Alternator Upgrade for AGM House Bank
14 August 2008 - 23:10

Bukh Alternator Upgrade for AGM House Bank

Greetings fellow S&S Swan Owners,

I recently upgraded the house bank on our Swan 38 to a 440 amp bank (of AGM batteries), but neglected to give proper consideration to the alternator on the Bukh engine. The DV24 ME engine on our Swan has only a 50 amp alternator (with internal regulation designed for 12 volt wet cell batteries I presume). My new house bank needs more muscle to keep it full, so I'm wondering if anyone has upgraded their alternator on their Bukh engine.

Any details would be appreciated on your configurations.

Thank you for your replies.

Regards,

Nathan

s/v Inspiration (38/090)

18 August 2008 - 19:09

Dear Nathan

Would suggest that the present alternator can cope with the increased battery capacity, it just takes some more time to bring them up to charge.

When charging begins the alternator at first works hard at full output for some time, but as soon the batteries becomes partly charged their internal resistance grows and reduces the charging current irrespective or alternator size.

It is only during this first part of the charging that alternator output has significance, and you could easily check yourself how long the period of full charging Amps is. This will give a hint on how much a bigger alternator may affect the time.

When continuing charging the current tapers off more and more, and reaching full charge by running the engine would take such a long time that it is not feasible to attempt this. Instead shore powered charging overnight is needed now and then to bring the batteries to full charge, and keep them in good shape.

The recommendation is to begin charging when the batteries are 50% discharged, to keep track of this a battery capacity meter is required.

Another very important aspect is the cable size and proper connections.

If the full charging current is less than the nominal alternator Amperage it would be advisable to check the size of the cables to the batteries, and possibly replace them with bigger ones.

Referring to charging voltages get the battery supplier's recommendations, and compare these with the voltages measured at the battery (not at the alternator).

Kind regards

Lars

20 August 2008 - 23:51

Very Helpful. Thanks Lars.

-Nathan

• Threads : 1709
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0