Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Swan 47 Headsail Halyard Chafe
14 September 2008 - 00:16

Swan 47 Headsail Halyard Chafe

Last season we changed out our primary headsail halyard from a rope-wire configuration to all rope. Our rigger also recommended switching the primary headsail halyard exit point at the bottom of the mast from the port to starboard side. We switched sides to allow us to bring the main halyard out from the port side of the mast (instead of starboard). We then ran the main halyard to a point aft, which works better for reefing the main in heavy conditions. All was good.

Recently, as part of hurricane preparation, we removed all sails from the boat including our furling headsail. Upon inspection of the primary headsail halyard we found significant chafe (see attached picture). Clearly the halyard needs either resplicing or replacing, but I first need to know what to do to prevent the same from reoccurring.

Our mast has two headsail halyards (see top of mast pic), the secondary halyard being a rope-wire combination. The exit point on the lower part of the mast for the secondary halyard is also on the starboard side of the mast.

It appears by making the port headsail halyard exit from the starboard side of the mast, I have created a chafe point somewhere in the mast fairly high up. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions on:

1. Best way to definitively diagnose the problem
  2. Best way to resolve the issue (best may be quick, economical, reliable)
  3. The path halyards take within the mast

Many thanks.

Milo

14 September 2008 - 00:20

Second view of chafe......

14 September 2008 - 00:22

Masthead view....

14 September 2008 - 18:53

Hello.

Did you replace the sheaves at the top of the mast?

Since they have a special pofile so as to accomodate both wire and textile, I think that under tension they create a lot of opportunity for chafe to occur. Same for the bottom blocks.

For this reason we kept the mixed halyards on our 41/022: not shure how easy it is to replace the sheaves at the top of the mast?

Kind regards.

Philippe.

14 September 2008 - 20:35

Thanks Philippe:

We did not change them, but the rigger said they were 'okay'. The chafe point is several feet from where the halyard runs over the block, so I am suspicious it is something inside the mast.

Milo

15 September 2008 - 21:44

Dear Milo

It is likely that moving the primary halyard to the other side has caused it to chafe against the secondary headsail halyard. If the primary exits above the secondary at the lower part of the mast this causes them to cross inside the mast. The remedy would be to have the primary to exit below the secondary, but you also have to make sure that they are not twisted. This is rather difficult to check. It can be attempted by having the upper one tight and keeping your hand on it while tensioning the other. If you can feel interaction they are crossed/twisted, but to determine how and which way the point of crossing needs to be brought down far enough so it can be viewed through a halyard exit.

It is possible to put together quite a long instruction on these matters including halyard sheave matters, but will do that another time, and suggest it be published in the maintenance section.

Kind regards

Lars

16 September 2008 - 12:01

Dear Lars,
Instructions on halyards and sheaves: that would be very, very welcome!
Daniel

• Threads : 1709
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1