Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - QUESTAR SWAN 44068 HULL LAY UP
20 September 2008 - 10:35

QUESTAR SWAN 44068 HULL LAY UP

Hi Chaps,

We have taken the plunge and decided to have the osmosis sorted out.  The yard have done the second peel.  Does anyone feel we should be putting back new laminate or is she thick enough to just take the protective barrier epoxy?

Thoughts welcome...

Phill

21 September 2008 - 02:15

Hi Phill,

I did it last year on my 48 and I was strongly suggested to re-laminate to the same thickness it was before. I did it using west system epoxy without filler.

Good luck!

Sergio
Clarion of Skye
48/042

22 September 2008 - 12:45

Hi Sergio,
I also agree that restoring the original thickness would be the best choice but I do not understand what do you mean by "epoxy without filler". As far I understand, epoxy alone is not able to restore any substantial thickness; did you use a layer of fiberglass cloth or mat? This is pretty hard unless the hull is turned upside down or some vacuum procedure is applied. Using layers of epoxy filler with fibers is much easier even if it is not an easy job as well.
If the filler fibers are long enough (which is the very source of difficulties), I understand that this will practically restore the original strength of the laminate.

Daniel, 411-004

22 September 2008 - 17:56

Hi Daniel,

The reason why I didn't use the filler was because this was the reccomandation form the surveyor/yard I used for the treatment.
The job has been done at Berthon Shipyard ( Lymington - UK) and the surveyor was Mr. Hopkins from Southampton.
They both told me ( even if my original idea was exactly like yours) that the two layers applied - if applied properly - do not need an additonal filler .
Filler will increase the possibility of humidity to stay in contact with the hull and
therefore it is reccomended not to use it. This means more work spent on the hull at the end of treatment but gives longer life ......
To be honest I was not very much convinced of what they said , also because West Sytem reccomends to use their filler at the end of the treatment but the yard told me that the warranty they would have given to me for the job woldn't be vaild if I decided not to use the filler.

I have to add that the yard spent a great amount of time at the end of the job to "sand" and smooth the hull but after one year I noticed that the external skin is not perfectly shaped.

fair wind
Sergio

Clarion of Skye 48/042

22 September 2008 - 18:24

Sergio,
so the surface was not coated with an epoxy filler but two layers of fiberglass cloth/mat were added indeed. Is it so?
This is quite interesting and I wish you could explain better how was this accomplished. I expect that a fiberglass cloth even if impregnated with epoxy resin will not stick at the overhanging surface of the hull.
Was the whole operation very expensive?

Regards
Daniel 411-004

23 September 2008 - 11:00

Daniel,

yes the opartion was quite xpensive. The boat was peeled for about two millimiters ( the equivalent of 2 layers of mat) then put in a oven for about 48 hours at 50 degrees to dried out completely.
Then epoxy was applied.
after the epoxy, but when it was still sticky, they started to lay the two layers with an interval od around 24 hours between the two.
When finished the hull was sended one first time . To obtain a smooth surface they spent a lot of time sending (peeling) where the two layers were overlapping .
After the final sending it was coated again with epoxy and then antifouling.

This is more or less what happened

Ciao/sergio

• Threads : 1709
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 2