Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Blakes Toilet
16 October 2008 - 07:53

Blakes Toilet
I have a beautiful classic Blakes toilet in very good working condition but fair exterior appearance. As you all probably know it is entirely made of marine grade bronze and originally mostly painted in white and partly chrome plated. I am presently brushing all the paint off and wondering what to do next.
1) coat again with the proper colored paint: which kind?
2) have everything chrome plated.
3) brush well and leave the bronze as it is.
3) protect the cleaned bronze with a transparent coating. Which one?

Personally I would choose not to paint it in white again but all kind of advices are very welcome.

Daniel

20 October 2008 - 05:19

I have had good success re-finishing my Blake toilet pump assembly.

Begin by removing all old paint, oils, etc and apply a zinc chromate metal primer (usually a yellow-green color primer).  I used a primer available in a spray can.

Follow the application of primer with a white paint designed for aluminum outboard engines.

The result should look just like the original factory finish and it is remarkably durable.

Good Luck

14 November 2008 - 21:45

Hi Daniel

I had my Baby Blake totally renovated by BB Marine in the UK (Hamble).  They returned the Baby Blake in a better than new condition, powder coated, new seals, pressure tested etc.  The service took about a month and cost circa £750.00 (+ vat @ 17.5%) less fitting.  A lazy alternative I know but I didn’t think I had the skill to fix the thing and the lady crew are now happy!

BB Marine’s web site is on www.bbmariners.com  It is best to contact either Chris Bailey or Rob on the mobile # listed on the web page as they are often incommunicado.

Kind regards,

Patrick (38/108 Splash)

• Threads : 1709
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 2