Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Which sail maker is the best?
12 December 2008 - 19:25

Which sail maker is the best?

Dear Friends

I am looking for your judgment on which sail maker you prefer and why.

I will invest in a new sail wardrobe for my Swan 47 # 20. I am looking for heavy, super quality cursing cloth that I could be proud of, even in 10 years time.

Thank you in advance for any of your comments!

Prices for benchmarking are of course welcome! :-)

Many regards

Carsten Overland

Cygnus Peña  

13 December 2008 - 17:49

Hi Carsten,
Can only rave about my heavy spectra tri-radial cruising sails that I had made by Andrea Mura in Cagliari Sardegna. They are spectacular both in workmanship and performance, and especially the main which was really important to me. Don't know how practical Italy is for you, but it's nice to be able to praise a good loft just in case you decide to look around. (plus they've got a 47 on record already) Prefer not to discuss costs, as there are really so many variables involved that contribute to pricing. good luck whatever you decide!
Cheers.
Jayne
47/047

14 December 2008 - 14:41

Dear Carsten,

I agree with Jayne, it's very difficult to talk about prices, as too many factors are involved (material, size of sails -e.g. you can prefer a kevlar genoa 140% when I should go for a dacron 133%, etc.) anyway, at the S&S Swan Association we have an agreement with Doyle Sailmakers, they usually get us a special treatment, speaking of prices and after sale services (which in my opinion is much more important than the selling price...).

If you want to try and ask them an estimation, try to call Sergio Fabbi (+39 3357249506 mail s.fabbi@doyle.it) at the Rapallo loft.

Fair wind!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

16 December 2008 - 13:58

HI Matteo
Intersting, didn't know we had a discount. Any idea what it is?

All the best

Mike

16 December 2008 - 14:07

Dear jayne,

Thank you very much for your fast and nice reply. I will of course take contact to Mura a.s.a.p.

Hope everything is running well with your business.

Many regards

Carsten

16 December 2008 - 14:09

Dear Matteo,

Thank you very much. I will talk to Doyle.

Many regards

Carsten

17 December 2008 - 19:44

Dear Mike

actually the special prices are with the Italian Doyle agent only, so you musk call Sergio. Sorry I don't remember exact discount %, but when I ordered my wardrobe (asked estimations to North Sails and Hood too) I was very happy with the Doyle price.

Fair wind!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

24 December 2008 - 22:36

Hi,

I can recommend Sanders Sails of Lymington, over the years they have produced sails for me and my father. In November we took delivery of a new main and furling Genoa for our swan 40 and are absolutely blow away by how well they set and how high she now points. The result was especially pleasing as we had never sailed her before and we needed a new mast and rigging as well so he was really working from a blank canvass. I had a set of his sails on my last boat a Contessa 32 which were still good after 10 years, so although he isn’t cheap I think he is good value for money especially if you are buying with euros to pounds!!.

Good luck and happy sailing

Jason

25 December 2008 - 19:45

Dear Jason,

thank you very much for taking the time to answer me. I will of course take contact to your sailmaker and ask him for a quotation.

I will also tell him about your great recomandations.

Merry Christmas

Many regards

Carsten

• Threads : 1709
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1