Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Polar for Swan 47
14 December 2008 - 20:53

Polar for Swan 47

Dear firends,

May I offer these two files of Polar for the Swan47. I hope that you find them of some use. If you have a navigational software, such as Maxsea or similar, these polar can be useful for your software to calculate the route taking into account your speed capabilities in different wind conditions and sail configuration. Quite advanced.

Cheers

/Philippe/Swan47/50

22 December 2008 - 19:47

Quite good down wind performance!!

regards

"Cygnus Peña"

29 December 2008 - 15:50

Well, that is what the figures say!!

See you perhaps in the south of Sweden/Denmark

Cheers

SY-Farouche

Swan47

30 December 2008 - 03:06

Dear Philippe:

Please answer two questions…

What is the ‘second’ file you mentioned and how do the polars take into account the size of the headsail?

Milo

Swan 47(048)

s/v The Last of the Normal People

04 January 2009 - 13:25

Dear Philippe:

Please answer two questions…

What is the ‘second’ file you mentioned and how do the polars take into account the size of the headsail?

Milo

Swan 47(048)

Dear Milo,

I did mention a second file at first. However, I realised that it would be too much a problem - perhaps - for some users to process. I did the processing on excel and murged the two files into one ready to be used. So, the one that you have is sufficent for your navigational programme to calculate the optimum route depending on your wind speed preferences (among other things that you can give as pre-requisite for your routing), etc.

Now, how this thing works is a rather complicated matter based on algoritms included in the navigational program. My program is Maxsea. It has an outstanding and well developed algoritm that takes into account numerouse parameters. It is not something that you normally worry about as a user. You let the program do the job for you.

Of couse, the question is: what navigational program do you have? If you like, I can send you the complete file of polars containing the data of some hundred yachts or so. Our Swan 47 is of course included. However, I know thanks to Matteo that I cannot attach such file here. I need to send it as an attach file to an email address. I will try to that to both yourself and to Matteo.

Cheers/Philippe

Swan47/50 

04 January 2009 - 14:16

Dear Milo,

I did mention a second file at first. However, I realised that it would be too much a problem - perhaps - for some users to process. I did the processing on excel and murged the two files into one ready to be used. So, the one that you have is sufficent for your navigational programme to calculate the optimum route depending on your wind speed preferences (among other things that you can give as pre-requisite for your routing), etc.

Now, how this thing works is a rather complicated matter based on algoritms included in the navigational program. My program is Maxsea. It has an outstanding and well developed algoritm that takes into account numerouse parameters. It is not something that you normally worry about as a user. You let the program do the job for you.

Of couse, the question is: what navigational program do you have? If you like, I can send you the complete file of polars containing the data of some hundred yachts or so. Our Swan 47 is of course included. However, I know thanks to Matteo that I cannot attach such file here. I need to send it as an attach file to an email address. I will try to that to both yourself and to Matteo.

Cheers/Philippe

Swan47/50 

Dear Philippe,
As Milo, am very curious to see the whole lot if you send the files via email... as Aorangi certainly doesn't relate well to the polars sent, (her modifications perhaps...) a little more info. would be interesting to see (at least to learn from) not having much knowledge in the way of algorithms or using navigational programming. (still use a compass and a paper chart I'm afraid...)
Thanks very much.
Jayne
47/047

email: jayne@kjkeuropa.com

06 January 2009 - 16:06

Dear Jane,

Please find here enclosed the complete file for the Swan 46 and 47. You will notice that the 46 is the centreboard version which is very near to the 47. The file of the 47 is however accurate indeed.
Please also note that this only works with a navigational programme with the proper algorithm, as you may find that most of the modern navigational programmes have nowadays. To load it into the programme, you have to converse the file through Excel using the "developer" function in the menu. The file for the 47 is already conversed and ready to be loaded and used. The conversion operation is an easy one: that "does itself" so to speak. Once conversed, the file is saved under a new extension and it is this extension that will be recognised by the navigational programme. In your "my document" you create a map called "polar". In this map you save the file with its new extension. I am aware of the fact that all this seems too much, however, I can tell you that the polars are extremely useful and necessary IF you are using a navigational programme with the Routing function. Your navigational programme will need this polar to calculate your optimum route. Now, Jayne, I know that you are using pencils and papers, which is fine. You might like to know that I use that too parallel to the electronics, just to keep me hands on. However, this is so practical!

The file are attached to the email version of this message

Jayne, could you please forwar this to Milo? Thanks

Please let me know if I can help more.
Cheers
Philippe
Swan47/50

12 January 2009 - 15:53

Dear Jayne and Philippe:

Thank you for the helpful information. I would appreciate a copy of the files, if possible, please. I am only sporadically logging on this month, as I am on vacation in Australia at this time. Will check email daily:

tlotnp@yahoo.com

Regards,

Milo

Swan 47/048

14 January 2009 - 14:07

Dear Milo, I sent you all of the files the other day (the 12th) to the mail address you listed. Hope that you've received them! Let me know when you can, or I'll send them again.
Cheers.
Jayne
Aorangi 47/047

17 January 2009 - 14:05

Dear Milo,

I see that Jayne send you the files that I have send to her. As you know, they cannot attached to the messages in this forum. To be sure, I will also send you all these files, 5 of them. The yare extremely helpful and manageable, that is, if, and only if, you have a navigational programme that can process the boat's data in different sea state and wind conditions. As I said before, this is what the programme will use to suggest the best route for you between point A and point B. The other parametres are the weather and the preferences that you might enter into the programme, saying for example: between point A and B, I prefer a maximum wind of 20knts and a maximum wave hight of X etc, etc.  Now I must say this is such an excellent and affordable luxury today. Most programmes with a minimum of sofistaication do have weahter and routing options. It is with these two options that the Polar files make all the sense. If I am to suggest such programme I will higly recomment MaxSea TimeZero. Super!

Cheers

/Philippe 

• Threads : 1709
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0