Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - swan 38' starboard and port Window Frames
28 January 2009 - 06:00

swan 38' starboard and port Window Frames

Dear Professor,

Talking with Matteo over the weekend while in NY, I am following his recommendation to address this particular question to you. I have changed the side windows (new lexan) and find myself with bad /damaged fiberglass existing frames. Is there any drawing or documentation about it?? Or simply new available Swan parts... I have started to work with a vendor of mine to replace and redesign new ones in aluminum. Anything you could recommend and suggest in this matter would help.

28 January 2009 - 17:05

Dear Vincent

You could either check with spareparts@nautors-swan.com if frames are still available, or repair the existing ones, and take them to a car painting shop to restore the outside finish, or make copies in aluminum. Detailed drawings do not exist, the frames were manufactured in moulds.

When installing new windows take care to leave at least 1/4 inch gap around the edges for sealant. If the gap is too small the sealant can not accomodate the expansion/shrinkage caused by the sun

Kind regards

Lars

28 January 2009 - 23:13

Lars,

Many thanks for your great feed back. Will do as per your suggestion and will let the SS swan ass. members know about the aluminum concept when finished.  Will post as well some photographs.

The condition of the old frames was so bad that it was practically impossible to salvage them properly. The yard which did change or fixed the sealant in the past did a really poor quality job leaving no option than breaking unfortunately the frames. 

Thank you.

Vincent Hawksbill/ 106

• Threads : 1709
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1