Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Foredeck hatch leakage
18 February 2009 - 15:30

Foredeck hatch leakage

I think this is a question to the Professor, but may be there are also other members of this Forum that could give me some advice.

I have problems to get my sliding foredeck hatch waterproof on my Swan 40 (Sunniva V, Swan 40#36). As I want to keep the original wooden-plexiglass layout and not change to a modern alumina variant, I would appreciate any suggestions how I could tighten the hatch without rebuilding too much and still take advantage of the easiness of a sliding hatch.

Looking forward to all suggestions,

Leif

20 February 2009 - 09:04

Hello Leif,

I am sure that Lars has a better answer to you. However I venture to share with you my expereince about a leaking fore hatch. I rebuild it alltogether using the form of the old one to have a new Lexan baked in an oven and shaped to the right form. Furthermore, I replaced the wooden frame surrounding the Lexan with Stainless Stell frames. These frames are formed as to dirext the water flow out. No water is thus retained. It has been perfectly dry for 4 years now. I even replaced the wooden top handle with a stainless steel one.

See attached pic.

Cheers/Philippe

20 February 2009 - 19:30

Leif

Pls see earlier long discussion on this Forum under Maintenance starting 27 May 2008 "Sliding fwd hatch of Swan 47 leaks"

Lars

20 February 2009 - 21:36

Leif

Pls see earlier long discussion on this Forum under Maintenance starting 27 May 2008 "Sliding fwd hatch of Swan 47 leaks"

Lars

Many thanks for your comments. It was very helpful to see the photographs and to learn from earlier discussion.

Now I have a home lesson to analyse so I can solve the problem before the sailing season this year. It is still 2 months before we are back in the water again Sunniva and myself.

Fair winds for you who can sail the year around

Leif

• Threads : 1709
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1