Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Salt water leak on Swan 47
25 February 2009 - 05:27

Salt water leak on Swan 47

Hello Everyone:

We had a little water in our bilge that became much more noticeable when our bilge pump recently died. With the bilge pump fixed, my attention has turned to the leak. We find salt water dripping in very slowly through a drainage hole on the port side , beneath the main salon floor boards.

Any educated thoughts on where it may be coming from and/or how best to locate the source. Incidentally, we are pulling the boat in April to paint the bottom.

I look forward to your collective insights.

Best regards,

Milo

s/v The Last of the Normal People

Swan 47(048) - St.Thomas, USVI

28 February 2009 - 22:47

Okay Lars/Prof:

I have had 47 views of my leaky Swan 47 problem and not one comment. I think it is now all down to You!....please?

Milo :)

01 March 2009 - 10:45

Milo

Thank you for the suggestion to comment.

There are now 56 views...

The drain hole goes through the partition. If you do not find any signs of leakage on the other side of it, the water is coming from inside the hollow GRP partition module. Has the bilge water level sometimes reached the drain hole, possibly allowing water to enter the module, and now it is trickling out ?

The other possibility is that water leaks into the module somewhere along its circumference, would imagine that there should be wet areas indicating where.

If there is a steady flow of water the second alternative is to be suspected, for the first alternative the flow should slow down.

It appears that your house batteries are not secured to the structure, suggest this is done.

Kind regards

Lars

06 March 2009 - 04:30

Lars:

Many thanks.

I do not believe the water has backed up from the bilge. The problem continues and the bilge is near empty these days. I believe the water is coming from somewhere on the port circumfrence, but immediately behind that hole is a 27 gallon fuel tank with no room to spare. I am hauling the boat in April. Is there a diagnostic test you might recommend while she is on the hard?

Milo

PS: Batteries are secured with a canvas strap. You can barely make it out in the picture, but the strap is there. What do other people do? For me, it came that way with the boat.

10 March 2009 - 18:39

Milo

Next I would suspect sea water piping leak in the galley area, particularly if the leak stops when boat is out of the water.

If the teak plywood has darkened locally somewhere along the bottom edge this indicates wet area.

Lars

• Threads : 1709
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0