Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - forum via email
13 August 2009 - 21:23

forum via email

Is there way to receive forum messages through email - a Swan mailing list?  I'd really like to read them, but it would be so much easier to do via email. 

Or, I see many other owners associations have a yahoo or google group mailing list.  Is there one for Swans?

Richard

13 August 2009 - 22:35

Dear Richard,

sorry, there's not this possibility, if you want you can be be alerted by e-mail when there is a reply on a specific thread (or in every threads) cliccking on the above link (Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only))

Fair Wind!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

14 August 2009 - 15:44

Thanks Matteo.  Yes, the reply to a certain message is the right idea.  But, I just wish us interested in Swans could interact more on all messages.  Maybe, it's just me, but I feel disconnected with the forum.

Have you ever seen the mailing lists of other owners associations?

* Amels: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners/

* TogNews: http://groups.google.com/group/tognews

* Hylas: http://milepost1.com/archives/hyoa.html

Has there been any thoughts on the positives/negatives of such mailing lists?  Maybe, I am rehashing a bad idea?

Regards, Richard

14 August 2009 - 16:11

Or maybe the above link does what I am looking for?  Alerting me of any and all messages in threads (new/old)...  I will test it and see.  Thanks Matteo.

Richard

16 August 2009 - 21:40

It doesn't seem to alert me of new posts.  Could I lobby for a mailing list?  A mailing list would make it easier to read the Swan forum and lead to more members and interaction.  I did a little study of how a mailing list will be popular - a proof of concept.

From 2005 to 2007, the Tayana Owners Group (TOG) operated a web forum.  The forum was great.  Over those 2 years, the TOG forum accumulated 484 members.  These members made 5,508 posts.

In October 2007, the Tayana Owners group decided to start a mailing list.  Over the 2 years until today, 2009, the TOG mailing list has accumulated 662 members.  These members have sent 8,114 emails.

By moving from forum to email, TOG increased its active members by 37% and messages by 47%.  The members and their interactivity increased.

I like this forum.  It is a great resource for help.  I want to read the forum easier and more often.  Couldn't a mailing list improve it?  And wouldn't a mailing list increase the membership and interactivity?

Please give any thoughts for/against a mailing list.

17 August 2009 - 21:58

Dear Richard,

last year I subscribed to' an aeronautical mailing list but I had to unsubscribe because I started to receive too many usless messages on my mail box, tens every day ( such as: yes I agree, etc etc). I would like this SS Swan Association Forum to be useful and helpful, and enjoyable, not a pain...

Fair wind!

Matteo (sailing in South Italy on 38/067 Only You)

ps check the address you typed when you subscribed to the service , because I am absolutely sure the alert works properly

18 August 2009 - 17:28

Thanks Matteo,

Woops, I mis-typed that.  After clicking the link, a "new post" emailed me, but a "new thread" didn't.  That's the feature I dream about.

Sorry about your experience with the aeronautical list.  As long as it's been thought out and there's a popular opinion, I'm satified.  I'll continue to enjoy the forum.   But if there's ever a change in sentiment, count me on the mailing list side.  Until then...

Long live the forum!

Richard

• Threads : 1709
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0