Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Swan 48 Information
16 August 2009 - 00:20

Swan 48 Information
Dear All,
I spent some time looking for information regarding the Swan 48 but even into the forum there is very few.
Could anyone let me know his own opinion and a little bit of history about this boat?
Why the 47 so common and the 48 so rare?

Please let me know!

Thanks and regards,
Attilio

17 August 2009 - 15:28

Dear All, I spent some time looking for information regarding the Swan 48 but even into the forum there is very few. Could anyone let me know his own opinion and a little bit of history about this boat? Why the 47 so common and the 48 so rare? Please let me know! Thanks and regards, Attilio

The Swan 48 was a formative boat for Nautor. I think it was the first they made with the famous wedge shaped Swan Deck. It was designed before the advent of the bustle so it had very fair lines aft. One of the first boats, called Noryema (Owner's name Ron Amey backwards) won the Bermuda race straight out of the box.  As a result of this, several were sold into the US.

Talking with Pekka, the founder of Nautor at the Elba rendevous, he said that Ramon Carlin had originally ordered one  for the Round the World race and he had suggested that he build an as yet unannounced 65 for the race. He did, and won the race.

Harald Baum the owner of Pantaenius is a very keen racing owner with Elan in which he has done an enormous mileage in and has this summer won his class in the European Swan Regatta.  Jacobite is very optimisted 48 which has won Swan regattas in Sardinia and Cowes but she is circa 2 tons lighter than standard.

Not sure I'd describe the 47 as common, but they do have a slightly more modern interior and the New York Yacht Club model has a lifting keel and bigger tanks which makes it good for cruising.

Hope this helps. Gavin

• Threads : 1709
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0