Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - SWAN 40 shroud tension
03 September 2009 - 11:45

SWAN 40 shroud tension
The mast of my Swan 40 was unstepped last winter. It was set up again by the yard where I wintered the boat. Now, when I'm sailing upwind, or even on a beam reach, the leeward upper shroud (on both tacks)looks very loose to me (about 3-4 cm play in the middle), whereas the lower shroud remains tight. The deck beneath the chainplates has been reinforced with a rod glassed into the hull, so the deck can't be flexing. The mast looks perfectly straight in harbour. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks
Richard Forrest

04 September 2009 - 12:15

As far as I know, to tune up your rig properly you should do it sailing upwind (10/12 kn). Any leeward loose shroud should be tightened up till unbowed (not play in the middle).
Before you may want to measure the side lenght of each side (from mast head to chain plate), it should be the same length, if not you should bring'em to be the same distance.
This is for upper shrouds as well as lower. If they're to tighten then you should loosen'em.
If you read your swan owner manual you'll find all the instruction.
Hope this helps.

07 September 2009 - 10:11

As far as I know, to tune up your rig properly you should do it sailing upwind (10/12 kn). Any leeward loose shroud should be tightened up till unbowed (not play in the middle). Before you may want to measure the side lenght of each side (from mast head to chain plate), it should be the same length, if not you should bring'em to be the same distance. This is for upper shrouds as well as lower. If they're to tighten then you should loosen'em. If you read your swan owner manual you'll find all the instruction. Hope this helps.

Many thanks, very helpful.   Have you any idea where I can buy a Swan 40 owner manual ?

07 September 2009 - 11:15

You can find a downloadable pdf copy of the Owner Manual for the 411 in this site, in the section Maintenance - Manuals. As stated in the header you will find that, even if written officially for the 411, it suits well all the S&S Swans.

Daniel, 411/004

07 September 2009 - 17:29

Hello. I believe your boat has a two spreader rig, same as our 41/022. With this type of rig there needs to be a huge tension for the upper shrouds as the angle with the mast is rather small. If they are not rod, you cannot help the fact that they will lengthen under load, and the leeward one will be slack (not to much of course). I personnaly would not try to tension them, as you would probably end up with far to much tension in your rig. 

At least this how we did proceed with our rig which is a tall rig with a pair of spreaders only (not two like the 411) despite being almost as tall.

On the other hand I assume you have very little tension on your lowers.

Hope this helps.

Fair winds. Philippe Vidal.

07 September 2009 - 19:04

Dear All

on "S&S Swan Maintenance" (manuals) page -link on your left- I have added the original Nautor's Swan document which explains how to proceed to setting up the shrouds

Hope it helps

Fair Wind!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1