Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Swan 40 creaking bulkhead
21 November 2009 - 08:56

Swan 40 creaking bulkhead

When I bought my Swan 40 it had a gas heater mounted on the bulkhead between the saloon and the heads.    I had this taken out, which left a large hole, which was repaired and the veneer replaced over the whole bulkhead.  Now 3 years later the bulkhead makes a loud crack when the boat rolls, particularly downwind.     It seems the bulkhead is not bonded to the floor pan and can move very slightly.

My questions are: has anyone experienced a similar problem ?     Should the bulkhead be glassed to the floor pan at the bottom ?

22 November 2009 - 09:07

Dear Richard

The lower area of the bulkhead is loaded by the forward end of the keel in combination with the mast pressure.

It is important that there is a good connection to the bottom, and it is recommended that epoxy be used for the glassing, as polyester resin is not a good glue.

Alternatively a bonding angle can be manufactured outside the boat, and glued in.

Kind regards

Lars

25 November 2009 - 19:06

Dear Richard

The lower area of the bulkhead is loaded by the forward end of the keel in combination with the mast pressure.

It is important that there is a good connection to the bottom, and it is recommended that epoxy be used for the glassing, as polyester resin is not a good glue.

Alternatively a bonding angle can be manufactured outside the boat, and glued in.

Kind regards

Lars

Many thanks.     Can you explain more in detail what you mean by a bonding angle ?    

Regards

Richard

26 November 2009 - 21:39

This is a L-shaped prefabricated piece of GRP, which is installed with one leg glued to the bottom, and the other to the bulkhead.

Depending on geometry and other structure in the area there may also be other possible solutions.

Kind regards

Lars

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1