Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Play on spreaders
13 December 2009 - 23:01

Play on spreaders

Dear members,

When I had the mast taken off this winter I discovered some play in the spreaders, i.e. the mounting of the spreaders. I have not noticed it before, but I am not sure if that is because I haven't noticed it or that it wasn't there.

Anyway I would like to know if play on the mounting of the spreaders is acceptable and to what degree ? I assume some play is necessary to accept the trimming of the mast. The spreader is bolted to the mounting. The hole of the bolt is bigger then the bolt. Perhaps that is the reason for the play ? Should the bolt fit the hole tightly ?

best regards,

Jan Kooistra

Swan 38/110

14 December 2009 - 21:24

Dear Jan

It is advisable to remove the play in the spreader attachment, because with the time it will work itself bigger, particularly if you sail long distances offshore.

Suggest that you check if bigger pins or sleeves around the pins would help. The holes may not be round any more if this has been going on for some time.

Best regards

Lars

16 December 2009 - 14:00

Thanks Jan for the post, great timing!

Dear Lars,
Aorangi has the advanced version of this issue on one spreader, and intend to address this in 2010, thus my request for advice.
We already have "ovalization" on the spreader in question, and am wondering what the best approach is to remedy it in a quality way without sacrificing the spreader. The issue unfortunately went on far too long and with way too many miles put on, so wish to fix it right if at all possible.
thank you in advance.
Jayne
Aorangi 47/047

16 December 2009 - 18:17

Dear Jayne and Jan

Would you have pictures of the lugs? Would appreciate to see the actual situation before making recommendations.

Best regards

Lars

17 December 2009 - 10:28

Dear Lars, Plan to be on board over the holidays and will take some photos then. Until then... Thank you. Jayne

20 December 2009 - 11:48

Dear Lars,

Thank you.

I have checked and I can easily drill slightly bigger holes for bigger pins.

I am upgrading my old 1x19 to rod rigging after damaging the old rigging due to a rock-grounding in Sweden.

kind regards,

Jan

20 December 2009 - 16:44

Dear Jan

Thank you for the information

Pls note that Swan 38 spreaders are swept 8 degrees.

Suggest that you find out the exact location of the center of the holes based on this requirement, and drill slightly bigger holes incorporating the most worn edges.

The existing pins can be used if you install bushings that fit into the enlarged holes. The bushings should be as long as possible, and could even have a flange on the upper side if there is space. Preferably made of sea water resistant aluminium alloy. They are easy to replace if worn, and do not cause corrosion in the spreader holes.

The above suggestions refer also for Jayne, except that the Swan 47 spreaders are in-line.

Referring to the new rod rigging it is important that it has been properly straightened, suggest you check that the rods are straight in slack condition.

If they are bent this reduces their life length due to increased fatigue effects. Another thing to check is that the new end terminals fit the present pin and toggle dimensions.

Kind regards

Lars

25 December 2009 - 12:51

Dear Jan

Thank you for the information

Pls note that Swan 38 spreaders are swept 8 degrees.

Suggest that you find out the exact location of the center of the holes based on this requirement, and drill slightly bigger holes incorporating the most worn edges.

The existing pins can be used if you install bushings that fit into the enlarged holes. The bushings should be as long as possible, and could even have a flange on the upper side if there is space. Preferably made of sea water resistant aluminium alloy. They are easy to replace if worn, and do not cause corrosion in the spreader holes.

The above suggestions refer also for Jayne, except that the Swan 47 spreaders are in-line.

Referring to the new rod rigging it is important that it has been properly straightened, suggest you check that the rods are straight in slack condition.

If they are bent this reduces their life length due to increased fatigue effects. Another thing to check is that the new end terminals fit the present pin and toggle dimensions.

Kind regards

Lars

The only things I would add are - when you say you can easily drill new holes, be careful - there is a limit. As was noted, you want to find the theoretical centers to keep the angle just right, which first of all insures the load goes they way it was intended, and also then implies the point I was going to make which is - do it (the drilling) on a bridgeport or other good machine tool. Don't do it with a hand held. You want a snug fit, but clearance hole to pin per side should be .003-.004 of an inch min, otherwise you might bind either on assembly or after some time after. Some folks like to use bushings, but be really careful then, because the drill out has to be even bigger....best of luck, Feliz Navidad...Geoff

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 2