Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Autopilot
09 February 2010 - 20:27

Autopilot

Dear frends

Autopilot on 38/57 Arajata

I have installed a linear drive that moves the rudder directly from a tiller arm and it’s working very well but I have one concern.

The drive must also move the steering wheel, via cabel, chain and a small diameter sprocket, and the steering wheel is quite heavy.

I think about a possibility to release the steering wheel when using the autopilot.

Is it a problem? Does somebody have a solution?

Best regards

Håkan

11 February 2010 - 18:55

Håkan

You are right that the inertia of the steering wheel increases the load on the autopilot drive.

The wheel is secured to the tapered shaft with a keyway and key.

You need to come up with a way of disconnecting the wheel while leaving it in place and enabling you to quickly gain control if needed.

A clutch of the self-seeking type is suggested in the wheel hub.

Kind regards

Lars

14 February 2010 - 22:35

Lars

Have been locking for a std solution but so far no result so there will be a special one. Thinking about a bronze flange on the shaft to which the slight modified wheel will be mounted and just a pin or two for releasing/connecting.

Håkan

16 February 2010 - 19:27

Pls note that the clutch needs to be quite strong, has to stand that you step on a wheel spoke at the rim with your full weight.

Four or five pins on a flange suggested, screwed out and in with a knob in the center.

Lars

16 February 2010 - 21:10

You are right Lars, I should make the clutch much stronger than the key on the shaft. One pin will be spring loaded for fast control of rudder and the other screwed. Thanks for your comments.

Håkan

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0