Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Registration of vessel in ship register
09 February 2010 - 20:47

Registration of vessel in ship register

Dear all,

I am planning a somewhat longer trip than the usual summer excursion in Scandinavia, and for that reason thought it would be a good thing to be able to prove ownership through having the boat formally registered in my local ship's register. Proof of ownership is not the problem, but I need to be able to document the "strategic" measurements of the vessel. Short of having the boat physically measured, has anyone encountered this problem, and does Nautor provide the data? If so, what do they charge for the service?

All the best,

Terje (38/047)

10 February 2010 - 08:38

Terje

If the registration requires a tonnage certificate this is not available from the yard.

Tonnage measurement is performed by classification societies, and the ship's registrar is able to explain the procedures around this

Lars

10 February 2010 - 20:09

Hello Swante'

I have had the problem that you talk about. In order to be able to register Farouche in the Shipping Register, I had to produce a Tonnage Certificate. Luckily for me, another Swan 47 had encountered the same problem before me and went through the whole procedure. This meant the Shipping authority had the data concerning my boat and had only to issue the certificate. A man wanted anyhow to see the boat - empirically. After that I got this paper and paid about 500 Euros. I am attaching here a copy of the certificate.

I am sure that you have an equivalent authority where you are.

Good luck

Philippe

• Threads : 1709
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0