Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Dyneema steering cables
18 February 2010 - 23:22

Dyneema steering cables

Dear All.

Has anyone used single braid dyneema rope to replace the stainless steel steering cables to the rudder quadrant?

Having replaced the steering shaft chain sprockets and roller chains on the steering system of our 411. I am considering replacing the 6mm stainless cables to the quadrant, with Dyneema, as is used on more modern yachts. Has anyone experience of this?

Regards

Paul

21 February 2010 - 09:26

Paul

Make sure that the elongation of the Dyneema under load is equal to the wire, increased thickness required. Terminals need to be considered.

Experience is that more maintenance is required because of chafe.

Lars

22 February 2010 - 11:41

Paul,
I was unwilling to intervene as I am not an expert but after the reply of Lars I feel more confident to write my idea: steel cables work perfectly and for very long periods with very little maintenance. I would never trade such a longstanding proved reliability for few pounds of mass - if this is your goal.

Daniel, 411-004

22 February 2010 - 18:38

Lars and Daniel.

Thank you both for your advice, the issue of chafe is of concern, I have been using dyneema successfully for vang and other high load uses. one of its advantages is it can be easily spliced onboard to make up a spare, however a stainless spare can always be carried if needed. I had not considered it for weight saving, If I try it I will feedback on its suitability.

Paul.

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1