Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Hull painting - choice of colour
05 March 2010 - 23:30

Hull painting - choice of colour
Antares, a 41ft S&S Swan is currently going through an anti osmosis treatment and I would like at the same time to paint hull and cockpit as the original gelcoat is starting to get tired.

Antares hull is currently white with light blue strips.

I have not yet decided whether I would keep the same colours. One of my son is a great fun of dark blue hulls. Another one of red ones...

Before making a fatal mistake I would like to know if any one of you can give me some guidance as to how the different colours evolve over time on a hull, (ii) what the exact colours used by Nautor Swan were for boats delivered in the early 70s. I would not like to use colours which were not initial Swan colours.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Kind regards from Paris.

Christophe

06 March 2010 - 16:16

Christophe - I cannot answer you with any authority, I am sure others will though, on what colors Swan used or not - we know many of our boats were the classic white with blue stripes, and if that was the original scheme, if you want to keep it 'original', there it is. All I was going to say is - I have friends who have done recolor paint jobs and had them come out really gorgeous - and dark blue is a fantastic color. If you take the time to look at all the boats in this website (each model, look at each boat that has pics) you will see red, green and blue hulls - I like all three, with the dark blue my favorite. In the end, if you like it, go for it - it might be a color that wasn't even available back then - please yourself!

Fair winds, as Matteo would say

Geoff
Corazon 411 #41

ps just finishing my blister job also, but topsides was painted not long ago and in good shape, so it stays white with blue (original)

07 March 2010 - 17:57

Christophe,
the choice is very personal and I am sure you will receive all kind of answers and advices. I will quote only the advice of a boat surveyor I think knows his job very well: if you plan to sail sunny regions do not use a dark paint. The temperature reached by a dark surface illuminated by the sun may reach such high values that, on the long run, literally bake the outer skin of the hull and produce fast degradation.

Daniel, 411-004

07 March 2010 - 19:37

Many thanks to both of you for your input and advices.
Christophe

15 March 2010 - 15:09

Antares, a 41ft S&S Swan is currently going through an anti osmosis treatment and I would like at the same time to paint hull and cockpit as the original gelcoat is starting to get tired. Antares hull is currently white with light blue strips. I have not yet decided whether I would keep the same colours. One of my son is a great fun of dark blue hulls. Another one of red ones... Before making a fatal mistake I would like to know if any one of you can give me some guidance as to how the different colours evolve over time on a hull, (ii) what the exact colours used by Nautor Swan were for boats delivered in the early 70s. I would not like to use colours which were not initial Swan colours. Thanks in advance for any feedback. Kind regards from Paris. Christophe

Sir, paint your hull in the original colors. If you are in warm weather you will regret the heat generated in the boat with any color other than the original. In addition any darker color shows the dried salt spray much more than the original.

Chris Warner
Swan 48/006
PANTHER

16 March 2010 - 21:02

I have had a dark red S&S Swan, two white ones with blue cove and waterlines and now a black one. The white ones were easier to keep looking clean but I like the combination of a black hull and a green awlgrip antifouled bottom which is quite a common combination on the US East Coast.
For me the Nautor trademark is the double waterline which they used from about 1973. We have sailed Black Tie in warmer waters and she has shown no degredation due to the hull getting warmer.
I think the answer is to choose what you like - I can remember that the US Swan owners were much more inclined to have their boats awlgripped in strong colours from new. Gavin

19 March 2010 - 20:40

Hi Christophe, I have a Portofino Green hull/gold trim that is 8yrs. old, works in the Southern Italian + Tunisian waters in summer where it gets pretty toasty. Have NO problem with blisters, or heat on board, and apart from being able to see all the "gifts" from others as they leave their moorings or other mishaps, have found it a really wonderful combination especially at anchor against a Mediterranena sea...As for the original choice, it's wonderful, but color is not an issue to most S&S owners or buyers I don't believe. It's personal and doesn't compromize the integrity of the yacht. And as for the salt spray that's visible, well...have to say I don't mind at all! Sort of like seeing an offroad vehicle with mud...means you've actually been sailing! whatever you decide will be terrific. Cheers. Jayne 47/047 Aorangi PS don't know how much the quality of the paint has to do with it, but am very pleased with the Boero Challenger Bi-Component that was used.

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 3