Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - 41 - Water leaks from mast
07 March 2010 - 19:47

41 - Water leaks from mast
Has any one of you experienced water leaks along the mast, with water leaking inside the cabin under rain or heavy sea conditions?
(i) What are the best techniques to prevent it from happening?
(ii) By scrolling down the threads I remember having seen a picture of a mast taken just after refurbishment of a teak deck and, although I am struggling to find the thread again, it seems that the part of the mast just above the deck was covered with what looked like a plastic form having the shape of an umbrella . As far as I recall the pictures were related to Swan 38 Only You. Is this standard? Where can it be found?
Many thanks for any input.
Christophe

07 March 2010 - 19:51

Dear Christophenext week end I will post some photo of Only You mast's detailsFair winds

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

07 March 2010 - 20:19

Dear Christophe,

I think Rod Stephens explained it very well how to do it, here you are:

Mast Coats: How few boats have really effective and tight mast coats, but it is basically pretty simple, demanding the use of neoprene as a water barrier and then a protecting coat of Dacron to protect the neoprene from the deterioration created by sunlight. The most vulnerable joint is where the upper end of the coat fits around the mast itself and the extra long stainless steel hose clamp, in turn protected by the Dacron cover and backed up with some of the good silicone sealer can make an absolutely tight joint. The mast surface must be smooth. If the mast must be removed, the joint should be opened around the deck collar without disturbing the seal around the mast which, as stated, is the more difficult one to keep absolutely tight.

Fair winds (and: thanks a lot Rod!!!)

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

07 March 2010 - 21:59

Many thanks Matteo for your quick and useful response. I look forward to seeing your pictures.
Kind regards.
Christophe

08 March 2010 - 09:26

Dear Christophe and Matteo

Pls note that the mast boot arrangement is shown on the mast wedging drawing in the maintenance section, see http://www.classicswan.org/file/maintenance-manual/2009_12_28_17_42_53-mast.jpg

Best regards

Lars

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0