Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Interior Refurbishment
17 March 2010 - 11:39

Interior Refurbishment

The interior of my newly aquired Swan 57 is in really good condition...for her age, but being a bit of a perfectionist I wanted to look at a complete re-varnish, french polisjh and a bit of restoration sometime in the next two years.

I am cruising and doing a circumnavigation with my family ...so the question is, does anybody know where in the bworld I could get a really first class job at a reasonable price??

Thank you

Graham Applin

Nakesa, Canary Islands

23 March 2010 - 17:49

Graham, I have had four interior varnish jobs done on Swans. The most recent and best was by Jamestown boatyard in Newport Rhode Island. They did a first class job on my floor boards, stripping them, bleaching them and revarnishing. I had a bulkhead (on the right side of this picture) with screw hole damage and watermarks in the galley and they were able to apply a new teak veneer and stain it slightly to look original. I wanted to get rid of the gloss finish that they tend to do a lot of in the US. They did a good job in getting back to the original matt finish. They aren't cheap but the pricing was fair.

Gavin

26 March 2010 - 11:52

Thank you Gavin

The picture looks great! Maybe I head North next May from the Carib. and look them up!

I dont know; am I talking 1000's of $ or 10,000's to do the whole interior!!!

29 March 2010 - 01:17

Thank you Gavin

The picture looks great! Maybe I head North next May from the Carib. and look them up!

I dont know; am I talking 1000's of $ or 10,000's to do the whole interior!!!

You could spend $10,000 if you were to to the whole interior. As you know it all depends on how much preparation is required. In my experience it pays to do a few jobs really well rather than doing a cheaper superficial job. My floorboards look like new even though its six years since they were renovated. The yard does have excellent craft skills and was bought some time ago by a pair of Swan owners. I also found that they had quite a few original fittings in store which can be very hard to get. Gavin

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0