Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Threads on the toggle turnbuckle
31 March 2010 - 22:56

Threads on the toggle turnbuckle

Dear Friends, Mon cher Lars,

A small inquiry: I ma presently going through the whole rig and doing as much as possible. I discovered that toggle turnbuckle holding the top rod stay shows strange signs of fatigue: the threads, in a limited area, are “flattened”! This toggle is massive, it receive a long pin (about 360mm lång) of an inch or almost (25,27 mm. to be exact, or 0.995 in.) The threads on the pin are ok, but are not in the toggle itself. My questions are:

1-      Would it be possible to “re-format” the threads in the toggle without losing too much material? If yes how?

2-      If not, would a replacement of the toggle be enough, or should I replace even the pin, since the two have been together for many years?

3-      In the attached pic you will see that the pin is quite “red”. It is in Bronze, I supposed, however, it should have some sort of coating making it look like stainless steel. Is that right? If yes, what might have had happened with the coating of the pin?

Thanks a lot in advance for any suggestions.

Cheers//Philippe//47/050 Farouche

03 April 2010 - 12:43

Mon cher Philippe

Answers

1. If the screw turns easily when screwed into the damaged thread area the conclusion is that the top of the threads have been stripped away locally, and this portion of the thread is not reliable any more.

Provided there is at least 1 inch of undamaged female thread length left where the screw can engage properly it would appear possible to continue to use the parts, but physical strength testing is strongly recommended before taking this decision.

Generally, damaged threads can be restored by drilling out the old threads and putting in Heli-Coil inserts, but this can not be recommended here because so much material is removed by this process that the strength of the threaded area is reduced

2. The screw needs to be examined carefully before taking the decision to continue using it. The threads to be cleaned thoroughly with solvent to remove all lubricants, finally use a stiff brush to get the thread bottoms properly cleaned. The problem to look for is cracking at the bottom of the threads.

It would not hurt to check all the turnbuckles in the same way.

In view of the age of the parts the recommendation would be to replace them if there is any doubt.

3. The screw is bronze, and has originally been nickel plated, apparently this layer has worn away. The purpose of the nickel plating is to enhance the appearance, and reduce the risk of thread galling as it provides additional lubricity.

For some reason there has been galling in the stainless threads although bronze in itself has good lubricity properties.

Bien amicalement

Lars

04 April 2010 - 09:53

Mon cher Lars,

Je vous remercie pour votre prompte réponse. Thank you for your fast and learned answer. Thanks to your information and other consideration, I have decided to replace the two parts. Talking to Navtec in the US and in England, there seem to be some doubts about the exact specifications of the parts in question. We finally settled for the following, hopping that it is right:
-D320-S32 1" Standard Screw
-D531-3232 1"X1" Eye End LH

All the best Lars and merci encore

Cheers//Philippe (47/050 Farouche)

04 April 2010 - 12:17

Philippe,
the specs of the turnbuckles are given in the original sail plan by S&S/Nautor. If you do not already have it, S&S in NYC may be able to provide it.

Daniel, 411-004

05 April 2010 - 08:33

Hello Daniele,

Thanks for the information. As a matter of fact I did find all the specifications - after receiving your message - which where given to me by Nautor  some ten years ago. The S&S spec. says: " Main Shrouds - Two Navtec size 40 with toggles at deck". It does not say more than that. Looking at the present part list from Navtec, there is indeed one "size 40", where 40 is the size of the Rod. Starting from there, we had to work out the type of threads, the size of the pin (0.995 in!) etc.

I will be getting the parts the next week. I am crossing my fingers and I will report the result with the parts number for anyone else who might need those in the future.

Cheers

Philippe (47/050 Farouche)

• Threads : 1709
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0