Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Rudder blade check - S&S 41
13 April 2010 - 19:57

Rudder blade check - S&S 41

Going through an anti-osmosis treatment, the hull of my 41' has been sanded, including the rudder blade.

It seems that the rudder blade has suffered. Kervilor Vanek believes it was subject to electrolysis. Some pictures were taken that show reasonably well in which state it currently stands.

I am looking for a piece of advice on (i) how the rudder blade is built, (ii) what recommandation anyone may have on ways to fix the issue.

Many thanks in advance for your input.

Best regards.

Christophe 

15 April 2010 - 18:26

Dear Christophe

If you remove the fairing pieces of steel along the forward edge of the rudder blade, and the aft edges of the skeg, the internal parts become visible. The fairing pieces are fastened with self-tapping screws.

The rudder stock and arms need to be inspected carefully for cracks and corrosion, particularly as there probably has been an electrical leak in the autopilot drive motor. The leak has taken the route through the autopilot chain up to the pedestal head, and through the steering chain and cables down to the quadrant and out into the water through the stock. Is there still a rotary drive motor for the autopilot?

For your information newer boats have fairing pieces of GRP, this reduces corrosion and enables paint to stick much better to their surface. Suggest you consider this change.

Kind regards

Lars

19 April 2010 - 08:39

Christophe, you could have a look to thread "checking the rudder" dated september 2009 where  the professor gave some useful info on the subject for my 41/022.

Kind regards.

Philippe 41/022

26 April 2010 - 13:41

Many thanks to both of you.

Lars, I will have a check run on the autopilot. What worries me is that the auto pilot was installed 12 months ago...

Christophe

27 April 2010 - 18:16

Christophe

There has been a strong current if the corrosion damage occured during this time span.

A simple solution would be to replace the chain with a toothed belt which does not conduct electricity. You need to find pulleys fitting the shafts, and providing about the same ratio.

Kind regards

Lars

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0