Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Water heater
22 July 2010 - 15:26

Water heater
In May I purchased 38/039 Gums n Roses from North Wales ( formerly Cavale II in Brittany ) and now called SERAFINA, located in Tighnabruaich, Argyll, Scotland. I am absolutely delighted with her and we have already had some great sailing on the Clyde and round the Kyles of Bute. I would like to fit a hot water system and would welcome advice on type, best size and location of a calorifier, and any guidance on installation. ( Engine is a Sole ( Mitsubishi ) 29 installed last year. Many thanks Keith

26 July 2010 - 22:24

Dear Keith,

once you have it you can't imagine how it was before - especially in spring and autumn!

We installed a 20 litres heater ("Mobitherm MWH-020" by Waeco)and put it in the forward locker on port behind the settee because with us there wasn't enough place under the starboard aft bunk where I would have liked it to be. Being in the harbour with 220 V it heats up within minutes, with running engine it takes app. 30 minutes (with a BUKH DV 32 Me). We installed it for use in the kitchen only which we now regret. After the installation we had problems because the engine didn't heat up the water sufficiently. The pump in the motor wasn't strong enough to pump the water all the way to the heater. But for this matter you can ask you local engine service. They will know. After installing another pump everything has worked well.

Fair winds,

Toni (38/113)

01 August 2010 - 12:23

Hi Keith:

We replaced our water heater a few months ago. The company we used are in the Isle of Wight and were very good to deal with. They build the unit to your specs (within limits). They are well worth a call.

http://www.surecal.co.uk/Contact.aspx

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Milo

s/y The Last of the Normal People

Swan 47(048)

Guernsey.

06 August 2010 - 13:01

Hi Keith:

We replaced our water heater a few months ago. The company we used are in the Isle of Wight and were very good to deal with. They build the unit to your specs (within limits). They are well worth a call.

http://www.surecal.co.uk/Contact.aspx

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Milo

s/y The Last of the Normal People

Swan 47(048)

Guernsey.

Toni & Milo

Many thanks for responses and helpful information

Regards

Keith

06 August 2010 - 13:04

Toni & Milo

Many thanks for responses and helpful information

Regards Keith

30 September 2019 - 00:16

Toni & Milo Many thanks for responses and helpful information Regards Keith

Keith et al,

Responding to a dated post, but did you ever install a water heater?  Where did you install it  I just bought a Swan 38/109 and beginning to restore her. Trying to figure out best place and size for a water heater in a Swan 38.  Closer to engine the better.  Any suggestions?  There is a AC water heater switch on the electrical panel, so there may have been one there before.  Thanks in advance for the responses.  I just signed up to this association and it is amazing the information and discussion contained here.  Love it.

Paul

30 September 2019 - 07:14

Dear Paul,

congratulation, she will get you a happy sailor!

Yes, you can. I had it (15 Lt.) installed under the stb aft berth onboard 38/067 Only You. I will look for pics and post them asap.

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

02 October 2019 - 07:18

Matteo,

Thanks for your advice and look forward to the pics.  Yes it seems a 15L will fit in nicely. Prefer a 20L but  seems like it would be tight fit, especially with refrideration unit in there to. 

Looing at this one - https://www.indelwebastomarine.com/us/products/isotemp-water-heaters/spa/ 

I am expecting you ran the engine hoses and water lines through the galley sink cabinet.  Now looking for best electical connection path.

Thanks ~ Paul

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0