Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - S&S Swan 36 cabin blond wood restoration
25 July 2010 - 12:04

S&S Swan 36 cabin blond wood restoration
I am looking for suggestions about about: filling old screw holes (the plague with older boats), and getting the black stains from old deck leaks (since found and fixed) out of the blond wood interiors

26 July 2010 - 14:26

Pippo

The blond wood in the older interiors is named koto, and it tends to darken fairly quickly if getting wet.

As far as I know there is no good remedy except gluing a new koto veneer onto the discoloured surface.

This hides screw holes as well.

It is known that some bulkheads have been painted, but this changes the original appearance radically

Kind regards

Lars

27 July 2010 - 00:05

The professor is right. I had this problem on my 37 and it was particularly evident where bulkheads and berth fronts met the floors. Any damp when the boat heeled caused damage which was impossible to fix. We tried oxalic acid and various other treatments on the striped wood and you end up with a very blotchy appearance when you get rid of the black. I also know that Oyster Marine had some similar problems with light woods (not Koto). If I was doing it for the long term I would re veneer with teak which is much more robust in a damp environment and then you wont always be looking for traces of damp coming through the end grain.

Gavin

27 July 2010 - 08:06

Gavin points out a very important thing - the moisture enters through the end grain, and if this area can be sealed by varnish or paint it helps a lot. Not always possible, however.

Teak is much more resistant, but not immune to staining.

Lars

01 August 2010 - 12:51

Hi Guys:

May I add a request for tips on how to repair some damaged teak left over from a previous owner. I believe they tried to hide a wire in the groove. Now it is exposed and unsightly.

I look forward to your ideas.

Regards,

Milo

s/y The Last of the Normal People

Guernsey

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1