Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - circuit breakers ?
01 September 2010 - 16:04

circuit breakers ?

Dear friends,

Several new pieces of equipment have been added to the electrical systeem. Because of the limited number of switches on the board some switches are now connected to more than 1 item. I am not sure if the switches act as circuit breaker, but I hope so.

I want to partially upgrade my system and add some more switches to the same switchboard. I have two questions:

1 - are the switches indeed circuitbreakers ?

2 - if so: do I need to replace the old circuitbreakers after 30 years  ?

3 - where do I get the same switches / switches that fit in the old board ? 

Suggestions and advice is also welcom. 

Happy sailing !

Jan Kooistra

Swan38/110 YULUNGA

01 September 2010 - 17:03

Dear Jan,

yes, they are circuit breakers, and they've been manifactured by a Canadian company: Heinemann. A few year ago I replaced the panel and some of the old brekers, I found them at West Marine, that was the only place where they have the white ones.

Fair winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

01 September 2010 - 20:30

Jan, I took the opportunity of starting again and completely redesigned the board and breakers to encompass all the new systems installed. It was also a chance to make sure we had the correct breaker for the specific piece of equipment. We also fitted a reverse polarity warning light, as we found in some countries the wiring in marinas to be poor. So if this lights up, we have a reversing connection to put inline to the shore power lead.  

Good luck 

02 September 2010 - 11:32

Dear Matteo,

Thank you very much.

1) I searched at wetsmarine, but couldn't find them. Then I searched Heinemann and they have a large selction. Do you know the "type" of the breaker ? (So it fits the hole and screws)

2) Also you replaced some of the breakers. Why not all ? Is there a simple way to test if a circuit breaker needs replacing (other then disconnecting from the equipment and connecting with an overload) ? Or do breakers of 30 years of age are considered to be "out of control" ?

Jan Kooistra

02 September 2010 - 11:34

Dear John,

Thank you very much for your reply. How did you fit the reverse polarity light ? Can such a device be bought in the shop ? Or ?

Jan Kooistra

02 September 2010 - 16:25

Dear Jan

Installation of AC equipment is not for Do It Yourself, it is strongly adviced that a qualified marine electrician is used.

You can find a discussion about polarity and AC on this Forum, see under General 24 April 09, What is a transformer in Europe.

Kind regards

Lars

02 September 2010 - 17:12

Dear Jan.

The circuit breakers are an industrial standard, most web sites will give the mounting dimensions to ensure you get the correct size. Make sure though that you get the correct electrical connection. some have threaded studs, some screws and the ones that were on our 411 were "blade" type as used on automobile electrics.

At the time I replaced some of ours, I couldnt get the blade connection type with a white toggle, a couple of minutes with a small paint brush and some white touch up paint was needed!

Hope this helps

Paul

411 042

03 September 2010 - 09:58

Dear Jan

when I did the new electrical wiring I added some stuff (e.g watermaker etc.) so i had to get new breakers. My technician suggested not to change the old ones as they were OK, I accepted his suggestion and I am still happy (after 7 years) with my choice.

Attached is the image of one of the breakers I bought at West Marine

Fair winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0