Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Propeller
21 September 2010 - 09:41

Propeller
Good morning,

did anyone of you uses the "AUTOPROP" propeller?
I need some help on understanding if his kind of propeller installed on my 48' could create any problem with he gearbox

Thanks

Sergio
Clarion of Skye 042/48

22 September 2010 - 12:08

Good morning, did anyone of you uses the "AUTOPROP" propeller? I need some help on understanding if his kind of propeller installed on my 48' could create any problem with he gearbox Thanks Sergio Clarion of Skye 042/48

..............or do anyone has the ZF/15 hurt/ZF gearbox? if the answer is yes which propeller do you use with this gearbox? any problems ?
thanks again
Sergio Clarion of Skye 042/48

23 September 2010 - 18:56

Dear Sergio

Pls clarify your concern - does somebody propose that the propeller caused problems with the gearbox?

I can think of two possibilities - the propeller is overloading the engine including gearbox, or there is excessive vibration in the installation.

In the first case a number of rpm and speed readings taken in the mostly used cruising range would give and indication, in the second case it needs to be verified where the reason is, could also be elsewhere.

Kind regards

Lars

24 September 2010 - 09:34

Dear Lars,

thank you for our answer. It Is quite a long story .....I replaced the engine two years ago from a westerbeke 58hp/3000 to a solè diesel 62/3000 . I asked for a ZF gearbox instead of the standard one and from there every 200 hours the clutch disks become worn. First time reverse , second time fwd. With new discs everything is OK .I kept exactly the same configuration as I had with the previous engine ( same shaft, propeller, mounting....) and I never had any sort of vibration/noise while motoring eve when gearbox started not working properly.
In addition this year before the fwr started to become worn , the engine was not able to reach more than 2000 rpms ( and at 2000 rpms was looking as if it was under a big load) instead of the usual 2400/2500 ( cruisng speed) . With new disks the problem disappeared.
I contacted all parties involved and everyone is blaming the other party ( of course).
When I was in Vilefranche last week I asked Yives ( Swan France) his opinion and he suggested me to check the propeller ( even if with the old engine I never had a problem). Autoprp is quite a different propeller compared to the other ones and because of it self pitching attitude shuld be the last one to blame for it.

The gearbox bearings and other internal parts show no evident signs of wear .

Any advice/suggestion is VERY welcome

Sergio

Clarion of Skye 042/48

24 September 2010 - 12:22

Dear Sergio

Thank you for the information

The new engine has the same top rpm as the old, but are the new and old gearbox reduction ratios also the same? If not, the propeller rpm is different, and this affects its power requirement.

Referring to the disk problem, it is suggested that you check that you for sure use the correct oil in the ZF gearbox, otherwise the result may be burned disks.

I would not think a gearbox problem restricted the rpm to 2000, it should then have heated up quickly, and destroyed. Maybe caused by the fuel supply, or if there was black exhaust smoke the propeller for some reason became very heavy, fouled blades?

As mentioned above, a number of rpm/speed readings would be helpful for evaluating the propeller performance, as it does not have a fixed pitch.

The rpm/speed at full throttle should be included.

Kind regards

Lars

24 September 2010 - 19:18

Dear Lars,

old ZF gearbox reduction was 1.88 , newone is 1.98. Oil has always been ATF one as per ZF instruction manual.
With the new engine ths is the result of my first test speed :
1200 rpm/ 5.3 kn
1500 rpm/ 6.0 kn
1800 rpm/ 6.8 kn
2100 rpm /7.3 kn
2400 rpm/ 7.9 kn
2700 rpm/ 8.2 kn ( full)

During this summer ( when it was not possible to go over 2000 rpm ) the reading up to 2000 was the same . When the disks have been changed - and the rpm come back to normal - the reading was again the same.

I agree with you that if the problem was in the gearbox after a while it would have almost broken it but this didn't happened. The engine was only "suffering" when above 1900 and not able to pass 2000.
I personally checkd the propeller , which was clean with all blades free to move as it was the hull.
I also checked all cables coming and goint to the gearbox , diconeccted and check it again but the problem was still there.
The position of the morse control lever at 2000 rpms wasthe same

an engineer came on-board before replacing the disks to check himself that all cables, mountings and lever were ok and everyting was OK .

In any case I can understand that there culd be a possibility that the two problems were coming from two separate causes , but my main concern is how to avoid to worn again the disks within the next 200 hrs.

Thank you again for your advices

Kind regards

Sergio Clarion of Skye 042/48

25 September 2010 - 18:04

Dear Sergio

The rpm/speeds you report are within the range that can be expected.

It can be remarked that the propeller is too heavy for the engine as the full throttle rpm is 300 rpm below the nominal maximum. Has the engine supplier commented on this?

Presumably it has been checked whether the gearbox power rating is too low for this engine - this comes to mind if the gearbox needs to be rebuilt every 200 hours

Kind regards

Lars

25 September 2010 - 22:34

Dear lars,

I really appreciate your help on this.

the gearbow is within the manufacturer specifications' limit even if only 20% above max engine hp.
I am going to re-send the gearbox to ZF to ask them to double check if all is OK and in positive I think that the only whay to sort this problem out is to isolate one piece at a time . the only problem is that I have to wait the next 200 hrs before knowing the answer!

Kind regards

Sergio

07 October 2010 - 09:52

After having discussed with all parties involved it seems that the problem is in the gearbox which could not be strong enough for a 16 tons boat . If you add the fact that autoprop is a "heavy" propeller the only solutions seems to replace the ZF 15 gearbox with ZF 25 + a propeller shaft brake which it is always better to have with autoprop. I'll go on with this and keep you updated if anything new.

Sergio
Clarion of Skye

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0