Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Question for Lars Swan on 57
28 November 2010 - 20:54

Question for Lars Swan on 57

Hello Lars,

Swan Lake S57/027 (ketch extended 60') is cruising from Punta de Este to Ushuaia on the way to Chilean Channels and Antatctica.

1) The Argentinian authorities asked the TONNAGE (not displacement) of the vessel. Anywhere I can find this information?

2) I also would like to get the Polar Curves for my navigation software, could you indicate if they are avaiable?

3) Finally, in 2008 I met Bergen Viking (sloop sistership) in Puerto William coming back fron Antarctica. Was she a competitor in former Whitbread? What other S57 took part in which years?

Regards,

Alberto

29 November 2010 - 21:27

Dear Alberto

1) It depends on what the authorities are asking for. An estimated tonnage is stated on the Builder's Certificate for the yacht. If registration of the yacht is in question you probably need to have a tonnage measurement performed, unless for example a British tonnage certificate is acceptable. National tonnage rules may differ, however.

2) If you can find an IMS certificate the information is stated there.

3) 57-028 Berge Viking participated in the Whitbread 1981...82, and 57-047 Shadow of Switzerland 1985...86.

Kind regards

Lars

04 December 2010 - 17:20

Hello Lars,

Thank you for your reply.

As the fifth owner of this 1980 vessel, the Builders Certificate is not attached and the US Registration Document do not mention tonnage.

This will be our fourth visit to the Beagle but Chillean and Argentine authorities are implementing more stringent rules (eg. salvage insurance) and want this information with the only purpose to EXEMPT vessels under 50 Tons (which is the case if the criteria is DISPLACEMENT) from a Pilot to cruise the Channels or enter ports of Ushuaia and Puerto Williams. I will report the builder stated displacement data of 22.500 tons!

Best Wishes,

Alberto

06 December 2010 - 12:02

Dear Alberto

The British as well as the International tonnage for a 57 is about 30. Perhaps it should be pointed out that tonnage is a volume, originally devised to represent the earning capacity for commercial ships, and the calculations are done according to complicated rules. For yachts below 24 m most countries now allow simplified rules to be used, based on length, beam, and depth. The latter is hull inside depth from bilge to deck, not keel draught.

Hope the authorities do not interprete the dot in your displacement to represent thousands, then you are not exempted...

Kind regards

Lars

19 December 2010 - 14:36

Hello Lars,

After 19 days cruise from Punta del Este, having to wait twice to weather windows, Swan Lake entered the Le Maire strait into the Beagle topping 12 kts in 25 kts NW winds and is just arrived in Ushuaia.
In January, after cruising the Chilean Channels she is due to the Antarctic Peninsula. 
Thank you for your clarifications. The Argentine authorities did consider 22.500 (kgs) as 22,5 tons and exempted us from Pilot.
This point is a "minor" issue   regarding bureacracy down here: one can get fined for not having ARGENTINIAN Charts on board, if any of your charts refers to Malvinas as Falklands, if you landed there without prior authorization of the Argentinian Authority (that consider the islands occupied Argentinian Territory) ...

Best Regards,
Alberto

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 2